Not long ago I posted about finding joy
and how I often have a difficult time finding joy in being a mother.
A dear friend commented and used the words "creating joy."
This was a weekend of creating joy.
After a week of being inside,
and how I often have a difficult time finding joy in being a mother.
A dear friend commented and used the words "creating joy."
This was a weekend of creating joy.
After a week of being inside,
I took the kids to Krispy Kreme (aka "the donut store").
Need I say more about creating joy?
Then we went to Sprouts.
Oh, I've missed you.
I let both Henry and Maggie push their own kiddie carts.
I don't think I'll do that again.
But they loved it.
But they loved it.
We came home and laid Maggie down for a nap, which she never took.
Henry and I played with his dinosaurs in the basement.
Then a friend came over for a visit.
We ate pizza for dinner which made for a peaceful meal.
(No arguing about taking one bite.)
Henry and I played with his dinosaurs in the basement.
Then a friend came over for a visit.
We ate pizza for dinner which made for a peaceful meal.
(No arguing about taking one bite.)
On Saturday we went to the park with Dad.
The kids had so much fun running, playing, swinging, sliding, and being with Mom and Dad.
That night we had a family movie night.
"The Croods" and popcorn.
Doesn't get much better than that.
Especially in the eyes of a three-year-old.
Especially in the eyes of a three-year-old.
It was a fun, happy weekend.
One where I felt the joy associated with children and family.
I think there is something to be said about creating joy.
Finding/recognizing joyful moments is good, but we often have to create joy.
This weekend we succeeded at doing just that.
One where I felt the joy associated with children and family.
I think there is something to be said about creating joy.
Finding/recognizing joyful moments is good, but we often have to create joy.
This weekend we succeeded at doing just that.
5 comments:
You always have the best insight and say things in the perfect way. We really do have to create our own joy. Finding joy has its place too but sometimes all it takes is a little effort to turn something mundane and normal into something special.
Such simple activities but yes, you created the joy. Well maybe besides the doughnuts. I often do things I think will make my kids happy but then I don't put in the little extra excitement or positive/kind attitude to make it joyful. Such as taking them for a walk thinking it will be a great, fun activity but then I get frustrated with how slow they are going that I ruin the chance for joy. Great reminder that it takes effort to create the joy, no matter what activity.
so true! Thank you for reminding me of that! I forget that I don't have to wait around for it to happen to me. I hope you are able to create some more of those joyful moments soon. ONe of my favorite books i read when my kids were your kids age was Joyful Mother of Children by Linda and Richard Eyre. They created joy school. they have some really fun things to do with kids. xoxo
As the great philosopher, George Strait says, life isn't the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away. The challenge is being aware of those moments. Good blog.
I Sooo needed this post today!! I don't know if it's this pregnancy, or having 2 kids, or all of the above, but I feel like I am constantly on edge these days. I feel bad for my kids, cuz they tend to get the brunt of it all. I have been So frustrated with their messes and not listening and fighting and everything else. I definitely need more patience, but this post, creating joy, helped me to adjust my attitude, and look for the good in them, and create moments of joy. Thanks Steph! You are such a Good mother! I Love reading your blog and watching your example! :)
Post a Comment