March 4, 2013

Henry is Three

Three years ago (yesterday), my heart grew three sizes. I thought about that day while putting on Henry's jammies last night. As Henry became consumed with removing & placing a sticker on his bare chest, I watched his cute face. I saw a slight smirk creep across his cheek and his eyes as they looked at mine and I remembered our time in the hospital--when the world seemed to stop--and I stared at my new baby. My baby. He has the same happy countenance about him that he's always had since a babe.

Now my baby is a toddler: a three-year-old toddler. We survived age two (and I mean we). I have decided that Henry is my toddler to help me stretch myself, learn more humility, patience, and relying on heavenly guidance among a million other things. And he is Brendon's toddler to give Henry relief from me. Oh, how they love to play together and they like the same type of rough play that Mom doesn't enjoy. Henry is here for me and Brendon is here for Henry.



My favorite moments with Henry lately have been right after his nap, when he wants to be loved and cuddled. He seems to be needing extra loves lately and has been caught saying, "No Maggie, that's Harry's (Henry's) mommy."

There are so many things about Henry that I love...

His happy countenance

His eyes, his chin, & his adorable face (it seriously melts me...still)


His sensitivity to young children/babies 
(usually those who don't live in the same house)


His bear hugs & kisses & how he spontaneously offers affection


His need for physical affection & how often he voluntarily asks for it

His stubbornness--because I know it can be used for good

His imagination & ability to entertain himself

The enjoyment he finds in running & being active
(this picture captures our lives so well)


How he asks about Maggie when he wakes up or notices she isn't around

His great love for his grandparents & his deep bonds with them
(I'm convinced the bonds existed before he came to earth)



His contagious laugh

We sure do love you, Henry!

I tried to make Henry's birthday weekend special, even though he didn't understand it was for his birthday. On Friday we went to Dairy Queen for a blizzard. Maggie & I ended up eating it all while Henry played on the outdoor play place. Afterwards, we went to Toys R Us to parooz the toys. We walked out empty handed, but that doesn't phase Henry. We went home for dinner, then Henry & Maggie went off to play with friends while I went shopping...alone (thank you, babysitting swap!...Brendon was out of town).

On Saturday we went to the library for a Dr. Suess birthday celebration. We made hats for the kids and ate treats. Henry loved his hat so much that he wore it to the grocery store and during his nap. After naps, we went to the local science museum, then rented Madagascar 3 and watched it while eating dinner.

Sunday was Henry's birthday. We went to church and had Henry's friend, Maddox (who shares the same birthday), over for dinner. We made the only dinner Henry enjoys: spaghetti and meatballs with french bread (and other sides). Maddox's Mom made some delicious cupcakes and the boys fought played until everyone had enough and it was time to get some kids to bed.




 Happy third birthday, Buddy!


7 comments:

SewSara said...

He is such a darling boy, Steph! I sure wish he and Simon could be little buds. I can tell they would have a blast. What a fun age ... especially with little boys! Love him! Happy bday henry!!

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

Happy Birthday, Henry!! We miss you!

Justin and Carissa said...

Happy Birthday Henry! We are such loser friends and didn't even know. Glad your day was special. And Matthew loves to go just look at the toys at Toys R Us too. They use to have a train table set up which he loved but they haven't had it lately. Time sure flies when you are having fun. Good luck with a 3 year old!

Brittany said...

Happy Birthday HENRY! I LOVE that picture of him-looks professional and his big eyes, so pretty.

Sheryl said...

I knew you would do this amazing thing celebrating our boy!! He is such a treasure. That FACE!! UMMMMM! Sorry to miss it all in person, but so happy to have him as our adorable grandson!! LOVE HIM!!

jeff and cindi said...

happy birthday Henry. He is so cute. It is crazy how time flies and they get so big.

Courtney N said...

Happy birthday Henry! I know I've said it many times before but he is so dang cute!