I'm honestly having a hard time knowing what to do to entertain a one-year-old all day long. The short attention span coupled with staying inside due to cold weather and my inability to be creative makes for one bored little boy. At least I'm pretty sure he's bored. He's even tired of playing "I'm Going to Get You" with me. The silly thing is, he still loves the game with everybody else.
I looked online for some activities to try this week. With five minutes at each activity, we total 25 minutes of fun! What about the other 9 hours of the day? Well, I guess we'll just have to figure that out on our own.
Being bored isn't all that bad. I remember when my grandpa was in the hospital (on his death bed). I was at the bus stop and overheard a conversation:
Boy: "How's it going?"
Girl: "Same old. Same old. Life is pretty boring."
I wished, in that moment, that my life was "boring." I wished that everything was okay with everyone and that I had nothing to report when someone asked how everything was going. I wanted everything to be the same old.
So I guess I should be grateful that my days are sometimes boring.

11 comments:
I know how you feel. Even doing something special or necessary like going to the park or grocery store only takes up a small portion of the day. There's still so much time in the day to fill. But you're right. Sometimes it's good just to be boring.
great post. slow days seem to make the exciting days that much better. but seriously, you guys are far from boring!
i think winter is so hard with young kids. It is hard to think of entertaining them all day. Total understanding coming your way!
I hear ya. I miss SAA. =)
I know Henry isn't very old, but you should see what the library has to offer. Sometimes they have story time for kids his age. Also for you to find new books to read him. Also any free museums. He gets a ride in the stroller and you get to look at something new. I completely understand. It's so hard being trapped in the house when it's cold outside.
This time was really tough for me too. They're still so young and not independent enough to entertain themselves, nor can you really do anything to hold their attention anyway. I totally understand...it does get downright monotonous and boring at times. Nice weather is just around the corner though :) walks were always great therapy for me and they can be as long as you want :) (well I guess that depends on the kid!)
I remember feeling that when it was just me and my baby at home. I thought it stunk. In just a little bit you'll have to come over and play in the neighborhood outside all day and go swimming with us at Lindon and it'll be so much better. Winter is a pain.
There is our adorable mommy and son!! Brendon showed us the pillow case!! Randi said "Larger than life love!" So true!!
Enjoy the slow...it will possibly be one of the few times you can say this!!
Your post reminded me of my sweet time with Tanner when he was little and before Emily came along. Tanner loved trucks and front end loaders and hot wheels so much. i filled a cookie sheet with rice and he would drive his little hot wheel dump trucks and front end loaders for HOURS. oh and the bath... i would give him different size cups and he would stay in there pouring water from one cup to another all day long if i let him. so i did! i just sat next to him with a good book... or my camera! shaving cream is fun too on a cookie sheet. you can teach him his letters by writing things in it. HAVE FUN! i miss those days. I LOVE YOUR PICTURE! so beautiful!
I'm sure you are doing so many good things. You just are so good at using your time wisely. So "same old" or not, you are doing good things. Maybe listen to Sis. Beck's talk from Women's Conference 2010 on byub.org. Hopefully she can remind you if you still doubt.
yep - been there. doesn't it help to just put it down in writing and really make your thoughts tangible? i think so - it definitely makes me handle my struggles better.
Post a Comment