March 28, 2011

Birthday Celebration

Thanks to grandmas and grandpas, Henry received a number of gifts on his birthday.  To this day, we play with those toys daily and are grateful for the added variety to our toy collection.



To celebrate our Henry, we held a small birthday party with close family and friends.  I am generally not one to "get into" this sort of thing, knowing that Henry is so very young, it costs money, and I am not a decorator.  But for once, I couldn't resist and had so much fun planning and carrying out our simple party.

In order to get Henry's birthday decorations hung before his birthday (a couple days before his party), I stayed up a little late to finish and hang a few things.  When Henry woke up, I walked around to show him his "Happy Birthday" sign, a picture garland, and a birthday wreath, saying, "Happy Birthday, Henry!" while pointing to each item.  Henry loved everything.  He smiled every time I pointed and said, "This is for you...Happy Birthday, Henry."  I couldn't believe how much he seemed to appreciate everything.  His happy face occurring several times throughout the days leading up to his party while looking at all the decorations made every ounce of effort worthwhile.



My favorite part was definitely baking.  I've been wanting to make cake pops and this was the perfect excuse to do just that.  I probably definitely consumed more than my fair share of cake (and cake mix) in the two days leading up to the party.  Decorating the cakes, though definitely not up to par with the professionals, was right up my alley of "fun."  Floods of memories from working at the BYU pastry kitchen came to mind as I frosted cakes.  I'm looking forward to a lifetime of cake baking and decorating.


Just like I knew he would, Henry devoured his cake.  He dove right in and ate and ate and ate.  Thank goodness Grandma Sue was here to tell me to take the cake away after 15 minutes or Henry just may have consumed his entire cake, which was quite large for a little boy (or an adult, for that matter).  While getting Henry ready for his after-cake bath, cake was falling off of Henry and landing on the sink counter.  Henry was quick to snatch up anything he could find, even returning to his high chair for remaining crumbs after his bath.  Ooo, I just love my little eater.


After experiencing his first jet stream of sugar in his body, Henry was first exhausted and took a small nap.  When he woke up, he was wired and talked and jabbered like never before.  Dad & I couldn't quit laughing with our little man.  It was hilarious!

8 comments:

Nat-a-baby said...

Happy Birthday Henry! What a happy, sweet kid! Cute cake, decorations, etc. Steph! I'm so happy you now have time to bake... instead of sell furniture!

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

so cute! Good job Stephanie!! I wish we could have been there to celebrate with you guys.

Morgan said...

I love and despise birthdays for my kids. Cuz like you said, it's very bittersweet. (K and B just turned 3. =( )
But what a loveable cute little man you have there! I could squeeze him.
Your party looked great. Nice job on everything!

Ash and Joe said...

what a big boy. i can't believe he ate almost that whole cake! i worked at a bakery back in the day as well. did we ever talk about having that in common? except they didn't let me touch anything that had to do with decorating :).

Cassie said...

I love the birthday garland. What a great idea to put the months on it too. I'm sure Henry loved every bit of it. And cake pops? How fun. Let make some of those during our April hangout-a-thon.

Sheryl said...

What a fun celebration of your perfect little man! He is sooooo adorable! YOU DID GOOD MOM!! Everything turned out great! Wishing we could give you all some lovin' in person!! So glad he likes his gifts!!

Heidi said...

He is just too cute! I have always wanted to do cake pops too. They turned out super cute! Well done Steph!Daphne wouldnt hardly eat any of her cake (cupcake).
Happy Birthday to that sweet boy!

Julie said...

Cute! I love his own little birthday cake. He looked like he enjoyed every bit of it!