August 5, 2010

One Wish and a Camping Trip

Brendon and I make wishes.  Whenever there's an unattached eyelash is on our face, the other one takes it off and the person whose eyelash it is gets to make a wish.  We always tell each other our wish; but before we tell, the other person guesses the wish.  We are good about guessing each other’s wishes, I mean really good. 

Last weekend Brendon and I drove down to Duck Creek Campground to meet up with Brendon's family for a much-anticipated camping trip. Shortly after our arrival, I found an eyelash on Brendon's face. His wish: Stephanie will enjoy camping (an outing I have never liked--but was open-minded to this trip--as neither of my parents’ idea of a "fun" vacation was camping).

On Friday afternoon, we met up with the Holmes clan for a long-awaited meeting between Henry and grandma, grandpa, aunts, uncles, and cousins.  He has six uncles, four aunts, and five cousins on the Holmes side, most of which he hadn’t met until this trip.


 

Henry ate up his grandma, giving her lots of kisses all over her face every time she held him.

He played with his cousin, Warner, for the first time.  They were caught holding hands and grabbing each other.  (They’re going to be great friends someday.)
  

He went on his first hike and managed to take a nap.

And he, being the outdoor lover that he is, loved camping.

Brendon enjoyed swimming in ice cold water with his brothers,

carving wood,

and mountain biking (the first time he's really tried it and he loved it).

Brendon's wish came true. I loved our camping trip!  I loved taking a hike, listening to the noiseless nights, making campfire meals, roasting and eating marshmallows (by the dozens), hanging out, playing games, laughing during late hours, holding all the babies, and taking time to be alone to enjoy the peace and stillness that is so easy to find in the mountains.  I’m so glad we were all able to be together for a couple days and I look forward to many more camping trips with my family for many years to come.

  

12 comments:

Courtney N said...

Is that last picture taken at Cedar Breaks?! You were that close to me and I didn't even know!!

Ashley said...

Henry is so sweet! I love those big blue eyes.

danny.des.jack.nora said...

you guys are so cute! and that little Henry with those amazing blue eyes is going to be a heartbreaker!!!

Unknown said...

so fun. I'm glad you loved your camping trip and that Henry loved it too!

Dejah said...

I'm glad you had a fun time! Henry is so adorable, I'm jealous that Bre got to meet him!

Sheryl said...

It wouldn't have been the same without you! It was amazing to meet our little man...absolutely LOVE HIM! I think the feeling was mutual!! Miss my blue eyed boy, and man, and girl! Okay hazel eyed girl!

Bree said...

Henry has gotten even cuter! He is such a doll with those big blue eyes. Glad you liked camping. I am trying to convince Tyler that it is a fun activity.

Heidi said...

Sooo glad you liked it, and looking forward to more trips! we loved seeing you guys, and that adorable boy! hopefully we can do it more often!

Ash and Joe said...

Holmes, just because you served in the phillipeanes doesn't mean you can use a machete to carve wood. We miss you guys!!!!!

Julie said...

I love Henry's eyes! They are such a pretty blue. I also like the pic where he's holding hands with his cousin :) I'm glad you changed your mind about camping!

Cassie said...

A non-camper camping with a baby...Impressive! It makes me want to go.

Tiff said...

How was camping with a baby?
I was bummed I missed your shower - our life is crazy this week as we get ready to take off for Alaska amidst other things. We might go camping up there. Any tips?