April 4, 2010

The Magic of Family


A few weeks ago, Brendon came home from school for dinner a bit exhausted.  It was Thursday of finals weeks.  I could tell he was stressed by the silence at the dinner table.  We ate our dinner and talked a little bit.  I asked if he was stressed and he said he was.  I hate when he’s stressed with school.  I know, it’s part of life and definitely part of medical school.  But I hate that there’s not a lot I can do or say to remedy the stress.  I can sing Bob Marley’s “Everything is gonna be alright” (which I do…often), but that doesn’t help much, other than an occasional smile.  But this Thursday of finals was really neat:

Brendon finished his dinner well before me (as usual).  Henry was asleep on the floor of the living room.  Brendon got Henry and came back to the dinner table.  I ate and watched as Brendon stared at Henry.  Henry began smiling in his sleep as he often does and Brendon immediately followed with a smile.  I smiled.  I finished dinner and the three of us headed upstairs and hung out on our bed.  We talked and stared at Henry some more.  An hour later, we woke up from a much needed nap.  Brendon had stayed home longer than he had planned, which I thought would make him more stressed.  I asked if he would be okay and he didn’t seem worried at all about the lost time.  Brendon told me he was doing better and, attributing it to the time with our little family said,  
“That’s the magic of family.”  

6 comments:

Nat-a-baby said...

I just love your blog Steph. I love the way that you write. I too wish there was more I could do for my husband when he is stressed out with school. It seems that nothing I say makes much of a difference, but a hug makes all the difference.

Sheryl said...

You do make his world complete! There is just nothing like your family as you are growing!! LOVE the Family Pictures!!

Unknown said...

the two of you could make nothing but magic! we can't wait until you get here and are looking forward to meeting your Henry.

Dejah said...

Such cute pictures! It is amazing how much power there is in the family. There is no doubt in my mind that families are created for a divine purpose.

Heidi said...

oh that is so sweet! Its amazing what a little piece of heaven can do to a stressful situation! Cant wait to meet him!

Marietta said...

What a cute Family...I am glad I found you and even happier I was able to read your blog instead of working on my thesis! I owe you big time haha