April 3, 2013

Time Out

I'm at my wits end most days.
I need a better attitude, a broader perspective than the here and now.
I'm grateful for moments like this when I get a taste of life from Henry's point of view.
And a good laugh is always rejuvenating.

Today Henry (softly) hit Maggie, but I told him not to right before he did it.
So I (softly) hit Henry.

H: "You hit me!"
Me: "You hit Maggie."
H: "You hit me! You go time out."
So I did. I went into my bedroom.

Henry walks behind me and shuts the door.
He opens the door.

H: "You weady talk?"
"Yeah."
H: "Look at me."
I start to chuckle.
H: "No, is no funny. Look ah me. You know wha you did?"
I laugh...
H: "No funny. No laugh. (Chuckle.) No laugh..."

He scolds; I laugh.
Henry tells me to kiss his "owie" better. 
I say sorry.
I get to leave my bedroom.

5 comments:

Sam Lentz said...

It has begun. You've been out-parented by your offspring.

Kate said...

This made my day. It's good to know I'm not the only one at my wit's end most days.

Grandpa Aaron said...

Now that is classic! We had times when it was tough keeping a straight face discipling you and your siblings which is one of the joys of parenting.

Sheryl said...

How I missed this I don't know, but I am dying!! I totally envisioned the escapades as they unfolded! The best thing is that I can see him mimicking how you and Brendon have lovingly disciplined him since he was small. Now he can't deny that he hears the first time!! Love it!

Brittany said...

so funny! He has a great mothering example!