March 24, 2013

Campout

We went camping by ourselves for the first time.
We drove three hours to San Angelo, set up our tent,
and the kids and I explored while Dad went on a bike ride.

Henry saw his first cactus and wanted to throw rocks and sticks in the pond we found.
Maggie wanted in on the fun, too, but has no boundaries of knowing where to stay safe near water.
So we headed to the playground.
Henry had fun on the slides, horse, and swings.
Maggie thought she could eat the sand, handful after handful, so we headed back to camp.

We used our Camp Chef (propane stove) for the first time and realized next time we need to bring a spatula.
Our plastic fork did the trick this time.
Then we realized we need to pack ketchup with our "tin foil dinners" (cooked on the stove) next time.

After dinner, Henry played with Dad near the water.
Maggie played with Mom near the tent.
The girls found the boys when walking near the tent was no longer exciting.
Boys are so much more fun in the outdoors.

Our roasted marshmallows didn't work in the wind.
Big bummer.

We were all in bed by 9 pm and it's a good thing.
By 1:45 am we had waken up a couple dozen times and thought it was 5 am.
The night got better and we woke up at 7 am.

Dad went on a bike ride while I entertained the kids in the tent.
The sun wasn't out and the wind was blowing a little, making it too cold for my comfort.
I'm a whimp.
At 11 am, the sun was out and the kids and I headed out to play.

When Dad called to see how things were going, I said, "I'm done."
"Do you want to go on a hike?"
"No, I'm done."

We drove home as the kids caught up on some much needed sleep.
I love car rides.
It was nice to get away, but to be honest, it wasn't my favorite trip (if  you couldn't already tell).

I did enjoy watching our kids be so happy outdoors, entertaining themselves and each other.
Henry could be a mountain man and is at a fun stage for camping.
Maggie, on the other hand, was a little stinker.
But they were cute together and I'm sure they will have a lot of camping fun as the years go by.

Better luck with our next camping trip.

4 comments:

Justin and Carissa said...

Don't you hate it when great ideas kind of flop? You just needed me there so we could entertain the kids in the tent together while the hubby's galavanted in the cold. Next time...

Cassie said...

What a trouper. A sweet wife too to let Brendon go off riding.

geeno said...

ahh - love the honesty of this post. i have more than one camping story in which the good does not outweigh the bad - it happens - you guys are awesome :)

geeno said...

ahh - love the honesty of this post. i have more than one camping story in which the good does not outweigh the bad - it happens - you guys are awesome :)