August 21, 2012

Today & This Month

Today we stayed home all day.

I fed Sister and folded laundry before Henry woke up.
Henry didn't want to go on a walk, so I ran on the treadmill while he watched a movie and Sister napped.
We ate together and played before afternoon naps.

I cleaned and read while the children were napping.
It was a peaceful two hours.

After naps, we killed a dozen flies in our house (after leaving the doors open to let in a cool breeze).
The kids went on a short basket ride together.
Dad was awake so we played with him for a little while before he left for work.

Dad is working night shifts, so we don't see him much these days.
We miss him. 
Only three days left of this rotation.

After Dad left, we played in our backyard.
We threw the ball on the roof (Henry's latest favorite game).
Henry squished a few of the hundreds of beetles (no exaggeration) in our tree and laughed when I yelled, "Eww!"
Maggie played in the Bumbo contently and smiled at me when I talked with her.

We came in for dinner. 
Henry hates dinner these days and so I'm pretty sure he went to bed hungry tonight.
I wouldn't let him eat a pancake or cheese or pears until he had a bite of soup. 
And he never took a bite.

{today's photos}
{sister was this excited during the entire basket ride}
{squish, squish...complete with bug guts on finger}
{laughing at mom's reaction...opposite effect of what was intended...boys}
{love this face...it melts my heart}
Despite Dad being occupied with residency, we've had a good month.

I have been reminded that putting Henry to bed is quality time with him, not a chore.
I have been reminded that I should seize the opportunity for one-on-one moments with Maggie.
I have been reminded that Brendon needs a break, too.

I've been cherishing small moments with my children:
moments when I squeeze and kiss them,
moments when we laugh together,
moments when we are all together, playing.

I've been thinking a lot about who I am and who I want to become.
I've been assessing what I do with my time and how to use it better.
I've been more contemplative and more willing to change.

Yes, it has been a good month.

5 comments:

Sheryl said...

I love that you aren't squeamish about Henry and his boyness....I am recalling my boys and the things they delighted in. I love the pictures. I love your consistent Godly spirit and rising to the occasion of being Brendon's helpmate and I love that you are always looking up. So this morning I am reminded that though miles separate us, I SO LOVE my little Texas family, and I LOVE YOU!!

Jenn said...

What a great post! It made me think how we need to slow down in life and remember the little things. Time is too short. Your kids are adorable!

Morgan said...

The but gut smooshing has GOT to stop...please tell me that not all boys do that...
Your sweet Maggie is JUST adorable. Those cheeks...
I too am learning that bed time can be rewarding and not the worst thing in the world...

Woodworth Family said...

Ahhh. So sweet! Henry is such a boy! And Maggie is getting so big! She is looking more like Brendon I think.

Heidi said...

I love the way you write! All the simple things in life that should and need to be charished! Thanks for the reminder :)