August 27, 2012

Memory Loss

Time, they say, is a good healer. And it is true. 
Time is a good healer because memories fade and emotions grow faint.
And time can be a real blessing.

But what about the moments I never want to forget?
Moments--right now--that will soon be a memory.
Sometimes I don't want time to allow memories to fade and emotions to grow faint.

I want to remember my children's faces:
Henry's guilty, yet innocent face,
Maggie's closed-eye smiles and her cough-laugh.

I want to remember my children's interactions:
Maggie's smile when she sees Henry in the morning or after a nap,
Henry saying, "Maggie!" with a smile and offering a hug.

I want to remember my children's developments:
Henry learning new words and phrases,
Maggie saying, "Mamamamama" with a fish face.

I want to remember moments with Brendon,
When we laugh at the new things our children say and do,
When we smile at each other while watching our children.

I don't want time to take these memories.
I don't want time to take these emotions.
I don't want to forget.


3 comments:

Sheryl said...

I love your pictures of our sweet babies!!It was soooo fun to have Maggie respond on Skype on Sunday! Henry told her to "go" when she was getting attention! Love and miss them sooooo very much! The Video is adorable! I remember Henry's "Mom" video! Thanksgiving can't come soon enough!! xoxoxoxox!

Cassie said...

Nice job capturing Maggie's laugh. Those pics are adorable. You are such an awesome mom. As I first read your post I was thinking "blog posts really help me remember certain events" but the more I read your post I realized you were referring more to those sweet,special moments that are easily missed each day. For me, it requires intentional parenting and conscious reminders to stop and enjoy those precious moments that seem so common in the instant but so missed a day or week later. What a great reminder not just to catch them, but to document them.

Heidi said...

Great pictures! Sometimes we just need to take a few pictures just to remember those times! You are so good :)