March 16, 2012

We're Heading to Texas



Medical school is quite the journey. We've reached another turning point in this crazy adventure and we will be moving to Lubbock, Texas for a three-year pediatric residency. Lubbock, Texas was our second choice behind Loma Linda, California. This is our second, second choice place we are moving to (our second rotation spot choice was Provo). The first experience worked out quite well and so will this one.

Brendon is thrilled! He told me this morning he has always been excited about the thought of moving to California, but within the past 24 hours he has remembered so many great things about the residency program in Lubbock and was really excited about the thought of having his training in Texas.

For me, this is bittersweet. I wanted to go to California to be near the Holmes family. I wanted to live in sunshine year round. I wanted to be a drive-able distance (with kids) away from my family. And the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to live in the Loma Linda area.

But we are moving to Texas and I am okay with it. Really. I am okay because I have had more confirmations than I can count that Texas is for our family at this time. Here are some of my memorable moments, offering a lot of peace:

  • When Brendon called me after his interview in Texas, I remember lying on my bed talking with him having so many butterflies in my stomach and thinking, "We are going to end up in Texas." The thought was very distinct and powerful. Brendon sold me on Texas and the program and it was my first choice for a few weeks, until I remembered how badly I wanted to live near family. But the initial feelings about Texas were so strong.
  • Shortly before our "Match List" (order of preferred residency places) was due, we had a current Texas Tech Resident call Brendon to ask if he had any questions. Before this call, we had forgotten how great Texas was and it was lower on our priority list (which, at the time, was California, California, California).
  • While ranking our list, we never felt quite right about the order until Lubbock was our second choice.
  • In preparation for a family fireside thought we were giving (last week), I was reminded about all the peaceful feelings I had about Texas.
  • To top it all off, I dreamed last night that we would match to Texas. Not that any of my dreams ever have revealed anything before, but I'm including it as a tender mercy this time.

The most prominent lesson I learned in college was that life always works out the way it should. And it does. And it will continue to do so. That knowledge has been so helpful throughout this medical school process. The Lord really does have a hand in our lives. I'm just grateful that I can see and feel it.

I had this quote on my wall in college, in hopes that one day I would believe it. Well, today I do.

“There is a guiding hand above all things. Often when things happen, it’s not by accident. One day, when we look back at the seeming coincidences of our lives, we will realize that perhaps they weren’t so coincidental after all.” 

8 comments:

Courtney N said...

"The stars at night are big and bright *clap clap clap clap* deep in the heart of Texas!"

Sheryl said...

You are Brendon's dream girl, and my dream come true for him. I love you Stephanie Gibson Holmes! This is one of the many reasons why! You are a woman of God who walks the walk, and listens to His whisperings along the way. Brendon is the man he is today for having you as his Eternal Helpmeet and soulmate. He couldn't have come this far without your love and support! You know I am going to miss the California opportunity of spending more time with you and the babies, but you have learned, that to listen and follow is the utmost importance. Your family fills my heart and soul. Bless you my sweet! Hurray for Lubbock Texas for you and Brendon!

Maren said...

Congratulations on the match! You will do wonderful there and you are so right things just work out for the best. We also got our 2nd choice and it has been awesome for our family. Good luck! So exciting!

Julie said...

Congratulations! That will be such an adventure! I'm glad you feel at peace about it.

Bethany said...

Lubbock is just up the street from Andrews! yay! Hopefully we'll be able to get together sometime :) I've wanted to meet you, Stephanie, for a long time and now we just might :) Texas is a wonderful place to live with lots of wonderful people! You're going to love it!

p.s. If you don't remember, I'm a friend of Brendon's from college :) I love reading about your beautiful family!

Rach, Mike, Allie and Hadley said...

It is funny how our lives mirror each other still! Congratulations and I am sure you have contacts, but if you want more help I have a good friend who moved up there last year that I can give you her info. I'll try and call you sometime soon. Love y'all :)

Heidi said...

We both will be away from family! It is hard, you experienced a little bit of that with living in Missouri. Hopefully, eventually we will all be together again in Sunny California! I love all the things you listed as tender mercies. Im sure you will love it there, and Texas will love you all too :) xo

Katie May said...

Sounds like a cop out, but can I just say ditto to everything your mother in law said? Seriously, you are the perfect counterparts to each other and I'm so glad that you both feel peace at this time. Yay! Now starting learning your Texas drawl and how to properly salute that flag!