March 9, 2012

Henry's Birthday

We planned a special day for Henry complete with a lot of attention from Mom & Dad. The plans were swimming, nap, balloon ball pit, and a birthday party with cousins, friends, & family. When Henry woke up at 4:30 am throwing up, I knew our day would go differently than planned.

Henry seemed completely fine after I changed him out of his yucky pajamas. When I walked out to the kitchen to put the pj's in the laundry, Henry followed & saw his bouquet of balloons tied to his chair, he shouted, "BOON!" & ran over to play with them. There was no turning back to bed after that excitement. We started our morning. We played & then Henry watched a movie while I slept on the couch snuggling with him.

We went down for a morning nap, cancelled our swimming plans, and rented Cars 2 to watch as a family. After  dad made brunch, we sat down to watch the movie together as a family. Half way through the movie Henry said, "Moo-ee," explaining in one word that he wanted to watch the movies he has seen a dozen times already. Dad recognized there aren't any animals in Cars 2 to keep Henry's attention. So instead of putting in a different movie, Henry laid down for a second nap (not typical, but a necessity with his night).

Brendon & I got the house cleaned & our balloon pit ready for Henry to wake up to. He loved the balloons & played with them, kicking them around for a good hour. (Thank goodness for a small living room that makes a balloon pit possible.)


Due to Henry's sickness, our party with kids ended up being a party with adults (who don't have children yet) so as not to spread any sickness among the children. Henry didn't miss the other kids (thanks to being too small to even understand the concept of a party and), thanks to grandparents. When my siblings started showing up, Henry went to the door, raised his arms and said, "Papa?" as if to say, "Where's Grandpa?" Grandpa did make it and he & Henry blew out candles, played with his new toys (from Grandma & Grandpa), & fell to sleep together watching a movie.


Henry loved his "wagon" (dragon) cake. I spent the day before his birthday putting it together & had so much fun doing it. I was so excited to show it to him & his expression was worth all the effort.



After the party, we ate dinner and watched--you guessed it--another movie. I really wanted this day to be a big day where Henry felt extra special & loved. Despite things not going as planned, Henry had a perfect day: he got to hang out with Grandpa Gibson, got some new toys to play with, played to his hearts content with balloons, and watched a lot of movies.

6 comments:

Sheryl said...

Perfect day for our Perfect little man!! Love the pictures. You certainly did make a special day!!

Cassie said...

His cake turned out awesome! It's even a "cute" dragon. Henry's expression is the best. You're so good to take family pictures. I think we have one since Emery.

Julie said...

Poor little guy! That's so sad he had to wake up sick on his birthday. It sounds like he still had a lot of fun. You're dragon cake turned out awesome! I love it.

Sara said...

love that ballon pit. so cute. i am so sad that Henry was so sick but sounds like a perfect day anyway. You guys are so cute. xoxo

Dejah said...

Wow, Henry is growing up so fast! He already looks so different. Sorry to hear he was sick, but it looks like he had a great time!

Katie Jean said...

He is looking so much older. What a cutie! And the cake is Amazing!