May 22, 2011

A Daddy or Momma's Boy?

For two weeks following Brendon's homecoming from his Fresno rotation (where he was gone for four weeks), Henry clung to dad with every possible opportunity. I came the realization that Henry was going to be a daddy's boy.  And I was so sad.  Selfish?  Indeed.  After recognizing how often Henry was picking dad over mom, I realized he generally chooses grandpa over grandma, and Uncle Tyler over Aunt Mindy.
















Really, I can't blame the kid for choosing dad. Dad's cool. He's fun. He enjoys rough-housing, chasing, tickling, and seems to have almost as much energy as Henry when he gets home from work. Dad is, in one word, amazing. I did choose to marry the guy. He's a worthy admirer for anybody, especially his little boy.



But, being the selfish mom I am who seeks love and affection, I was pretty sad he was showing a preference for dad.  Fortunately, Henry has turned around a little. He still loves me. (Whew!) He even chooses me over dad sometimes. I'm glad he realizes mom needs a lot of TLC and willingly gives it to me in the right moments. I love the random hugs and our cuddle sessions.



Henry demonstrates his masculinity by pushing his trucks around the house, saying "Vroom!" while playing with cars, enjoying skateboarding with dad, eating dirt, rocks, and sticks, kicking and throwing balls, lifting weights, and rough-housing. He enjoys hide-and-seek, especially when he knows he is doing something he shouldn't be (which is almost always eating something he knows he shouldn't be), running around the couch, squeezing through small spaces, and being outside. He is showing the same determination of his father. Henry also shows a softer side: he loves playing with dolls, giving hugs to his playmates, and is in a "hold me all the time" stage. Although he tries to be independent at times, he usually wants mom or dad to be with him 100% of the time he is awake.  He loves to take our hand and drag us everywhere.


If you would have asked me two weeks ago, I would have said Henry is--without question--a daddy's boy.  But now, I'm not so sure. Maybe Henry is still deciding who he prefers, but for now I'm glad he has moments with both mom and dad.

7 comments:

Sheryl said...

He is one blessed boy! NO matter who he chooses, He is LOVED, LOVED, LOVED! Can't wait to get my hands on him! 6 days!! Perfection in pictures!!

lauramarie said...

love the picture with you and him. so cute!

Bree said...

Such a sweet little boy! I love when little boys are daddy's boys. It is just so adorable. But he looks just like you so at least you will always have that :)

danny.des.jack.nora said...

I LOVE your posts Stephanie! I often find myself reading the words and thinking 'that is exactly how I feel.' You guys are a super sweet family and I am glad we are coming to Utah. We should have little get togethers for sure! Thanks for your sweet gift. I absolutely LOVE it! You guys are too kind! See ya soon! Oh ya, and your little Henry is just super cute.

Cassie said...

What cute pics, especially that one of you and Henry.

Heidi said...

It seems that kids are so aware of when things may change (you being pregnant).
Daphne has become more cuddly too. LOVE IT!!
Those are some great pictures! miss you guys!

geeno said...

my goodness - could that picture of you two be any better? i think not - that's a keeper!