I'm a busy body. A very busy body. I find great satisfaction in keeping my hands moving. While I was packing for the hospital, I was nervous I would get bored. After all, what would I do all day for three days in the hospital...you know, besides deliver a baby? I packed a reading book, scriptures, the Ensign, thank you cards to write, and my journal. Certainly with a bag packed full of--not clothes--stuff to do, I would be perfectly content. Little did I know that staring at a baby, my baby, would be more satisfying than I ever realized it could be. Needless to say, I did not read or write anything. I sat. I stared. I cried. I fell in love.
The First 48 Hours
When Brendon placed our baby in my arms, I sat there looking at Henry and the tears flowed. I cry as I write, remembering that feeling of great joy and love for this beautiful boy. But it was more than a bond between just me and the baby; it was a family bond: Brendon, me, and our baby, Henry. Together.
The nurses and doctors were phenomenal. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to be by my side during a life-changing event. My favorite part about the hospital was the red button. Whenever I needed my water jug filled, medicine, a question to be answered...anything...I pushed the red button and someone would be at my beckon call within a minute. It was wonderful.
As I sat, stared, cried, and fell in love, I had the realization that I am so grateful for my role of wife, mother, bearer of the child. I would much rather carry a child for nine months and experience labor than be the husband, father, provider of the family. Brendon spent a lot of time with me and Henry, but tried to keep on top of studying as much as possible. It was hard for him to leave and we hated to see him go. I'm so glad I am the one who gets to be with Henry all day, every day. Fortunately, Brendon is grateful for his role as well.
A Deeper Relationship
Brendon has been incredible throughout the pregnancy, delivery, and this past week of a new life at home. In the days leading up to delivery, I was...a basket case. I experienced anxiety like never before. My eyes were a river. I was scared of the unknown, petrified of what could possibly go wrong during delivery, and horrified at the thought that I really had no idea how much my life was going to change. Would I ever be the same person? Would I really be okay staying at home? Would I get bored? Would I experience postpartum depression? Many of these questions remain unanswered, but I'm not a basket case anymore. I have Brendon.
Brendon is the Best: Story #1
Monday, March 1st, I sent a text to Brendon at school, requesting he come home. I needed him. I lay on our bed, sobbing, feeling so scared. Brendon came home right away and hugged me, listened to me, and spoke words of comfort to me. He re assured me that it was okay to be feeling this way. Indeed, it was an unknown future ahead, but everything would would work out.
Comforted by Brendon's words, but still feeling fear, I received a priesthood blessing for comfort the following night. Feelings of comfort didn't overwhelm me immediately as I had expected; rather, on the morning of March 3rd, my feelings of fear were replaced with the feeling of great peace.
I have known from the time that Brendon and I were dating that he was good with children. I remember watching him interact with his cousin who was three at the time, playing and laughing with him. I made a mental note at that time that he would be a great father.
Over the past Christmas we spent in California, I saw Brendon take every opportunity to play with the four new nieces and nephew we had yet to meet. I knew Brendon likes children, but I didn't realize he was willing to s pend so much time with children, taking every opportunity to love them.
I have loved even more to watch Brendon with our son. He loves staring at him, playing with him, and mimicking him (which is hilarious, by the way). He can't wait to be done with finals to be with Henry all day. I just love Brendon for the wonderful father he is.
Brendon is the Best: Story #3
Brendon has a busy schedule this week full of studying for finals. No matter how busy school gets, Brendon is so good about making time for me. Certainly finals may be a good excuse to let the house go. But Brendon knows I can't stand an unclean home. And since I am still recouping and trying to figure out a schedule with Henry, Brendon has taken it upon himself to go above and beyond. He has been so helpful around the house, making sure to do the dishes every night, keep laundry going, and even offering to stay up with Henry. I am one who receives love through service and Brendon has definitely hit a spot with me this week. I appreciate him so much.
Going Home
As the nurse gave me instructions on breast feeding, bathing, and other essential information to take care of a baby, I had an "I want my mommy" moment. I wasn't sure that I could do everything.
The first night, I was told from the nurse, would be a rough night. Boy, was she right. We were up every hour, feeding a total of 20 minutes each time. I was very frustrated. I got out the binkie and my little man loves it! Yes, one night home and he used a binkie. Judge me if you may, but I'm a total fan of the paci. I was at my wits end, laying in bed with my hand over the pack n' play holding the binkie in Henry's mouth. Brendon realized I was frustrated and took over for a little while. We survived the night with next to no sleep.
My mom called me the next day and I cried to her. I was upset and I only had a total of 10-13 hours of sleep over the past three days (no...I did not get a lot of sleep at the hospital). But everything has gotten better since then. Henry is a champ: he eats well, sleeps well, and is oh, so patient with a mom who is learning so much so quickly. I adore him! I wish I could freeze time. Every stage is fun, I know, but this is unlike anything. I love my baby Henry!
God is Love
The most profound thought I've had over the past couple of days is about this earth life and the experiences we encounter. It is my belief that every experience we have is to help us become like God. What is God? In one word, God is love. Plain and simple.
I recently came across the following quote:
“One’s life…cannot be both faith-filled and stress-free….
“Therefore, how can you and I really expect to glide naively through life, as if to say, ‘Lord, give me experience, but not grief, not sorrow, not pain, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what Thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share Thy joy!’
“Real faith…is required to endure this necessary but painful developmental process.”
(Elder Neal A Maxwell, “Lest Ye Be Wearied and Faint in Your Minds,” Ensign, May 1991, 88, 90.)
We are on earth to become like God. We become more like Him through the oppositions we face, the trials we endure (not necessarily conquer), and the experiences we have, both happy and sad.
It seems like the highest highs and the lowest lows I experience help me come to a greater understanding of God's love. There are moments in between the highest highs and lowest lows, too, but the highs and lows seem to stand out most in my mind as the time when His love is most overwhelming.
During moments of great challenges, I have felt the power of His love to help soothe and calm me in a way that no human being can. And the moments of great joy (like the birth of Henry), I am also overwhelmed with His love. What I'm trying to say is this: every experience we encounter is to help us become like God, thus to increase our love. Our love grows for ourselves, for others, and for the Being who is the source of that love. The oppositions we face, trials we endure, and experiences we encounter help us become more like him: a being full of love.
When I got married, my love grew more than I ever thought possible. My love grew with each moment Brendon and I spent together before we were married and it continues to grow to this day. It amazes me how much our love continues to grow. Now, I am experiencing a new dimension of love: the love of a child of my very own. It is really amazing. And, what is so incredible to me is that the love I have experienced for this child does not only resonate with my child, but for other people as well, especially my husband. Where we learn to love more fully through one experience, our love increases for others, too.
I have, what I call, "earth-life-is-so-cool" moments. This has definitely been one of them.
27 comments:
I Love YOU! Stephanie, this is so beautiful, and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to share and feel of your spirit and your insights to the Eternal role of Motherhood. I thank my Heavenly Father sincerely again today for you, my Brendon's soul mate and companion for Eternity. You have been richly blessed in your little family with our amazing little Henry's arrival. I wish I was there to give you a most warm hug and thank you in person for being you... Brendon's girl, and Henry's mom.
I love that! You will treasure that forever too. It is so good to write things down because unfortunately some little things are easy to forget and before you know it they are growing up!
That was so incredible! You are one great writer! I got teary eyed when you were talking about henry. Such an amazing experience!
Stephanie, that was SO beautifully written. I agree with everything you wrote. I think you should send that in to the Ensign! You have real talent for putting those amazing feelings into words. Thank you for sharing.
Continue to enjoy every minute of being a mom - they grow up way too fast!
You are great. And you will be a great om, and Brendon will be a great dad. I know it. Your love will grow with each little person you bring into this life. Good luck. And poo on people who don't agree with binkies. THEY RULE. Thank you for your insights. You two will be great.
Morgan
That is such a sweet post Stephanie. And in years to come you will be so glad you wrote those thought and feelings down. Becoming a mother is one of those experiences that you just have to have yourself to understand. It is absolutely to see these amazing little beings that you created...unbelieable. Congratulations again, we're excited to meet Henry.
OH PS, have no shame for binkies, they are amazing. People who hate on them are just jealous their kids wouldn't take :)
Stephanie Marie, how I love you. Baby Henry is a gorgeous lil' thing - seriously so cute! I'm so happy for you. Loved the photos, loved your words, love you.
P.S. I wonder how many people think that I don't know your middle name, Stephanie MARIE. :)
i was thinking the same thing as one of your other commenters... hello ensign artical!
Aww I love you and I love your post... it made me cry! : ) Congrats on becoming a mother! You'll be amazing!
I don't know where to begin after that post. You are such an amazing person, and if I haven't told you before, I am grateful that you are a part of this family! Henry is lucky to have such wonderful parents.
I loved all your thoughts! It's such a great feeling to hold that infant in your arms and to have that instant bond and love. Henry is sooo cute.
I can't really say anything that hasn't already been written but DIDDO to all of it! First, your baby is gorgeous! I may bring you a treat soon just so I can come see him. ;) Second, I'm an English major and I don't write anywhere near that well! Seriously beautiful! Third, thanks for the quote from Elder Maxwell. And thanks for sharing your feelings, not just (what a horrible word in this case) about being a new mom, but about your spiritual insights. Fourth, thanks to Brendon for taking such good care of you! Husband of the year award, right there!
i loved your post.
you have the most beautiful and
inspiring thoughts. thanks for sharing. henry is so adorable!!
glad things are going well:)
That was more than just thoughts and pictures... that was incredible and so uplifting to read. Thank you for sharing your inspiring moments!
You are amazing, and a great example to me to take a step back and have a more eternal view. And that Henry of yours, he is SO cute! He has a perfect little face and such cute little features! Man, you are going to be an amazing mamma!
wow! steph, brendon that is one cute baby!congratulations!
What an awesome post Stephanie. I loved how honest it was about how scared you were in the days up to the birth, the joys you feel now, and the sleep you've missed since then. You have such a great outlook on the experience even though it has been both difficult and wonderful. If you need anything or somebody to come help you with anything, give me a call! I'd love to come over and meet the little cutie.
Wow! How cute Henry is!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
We are sure excited for you guys!
Can't wait to see all of you this summer!
Aunt Linn
Welcome, welcome sweet baby Henry. You are so, so cute. And welcome to motherhood Stephanie. I have the exact same memories with Max of laying on my bed, leaning my hand over into the pack-n-play, holding his paci in his mouth so he would just stop crying, even for a minute. Ahhhh, and you were worried about being bored...every spare chance you get, you can sleep! :)
I hope we get to meet this little man soon! Congratulations again!
Steph, what an awesome inspiring post. They grow up so fast and you forget some little moments. I LOVE that you wrote this all down. You are the sweetest mama. I am so excited for you three. Life is great!
Beautifully written, Stephanie. We are really happy for you guys. He is just so beautiful and sweet. I agree with Megan and Morgan. Binkies are a lifesaver! :) Just don't let him hold on to it as long as we let Sophie hold on to hers! Ha ha. Thanks for sharing all of your insights. I had such a nice time visiting with you the other day!!
Congratulations on your baby boy Henry! He is beautiful! That face! That dimple! How teeny and adorable is he?! I'm so happy for you guys. What a great post and neat stories you shared. I wish you all the best and I hope that we can hang out sometime when you're back in Utah. Miss you! xoxo
I hope you don't mind me sneaking on to your blog to see your sweet little guy. Um, Pacifiers are life savers(if they take them.) I remember after having Jenna and getting little to no sleep. She would cry all the time. I had a friend give me some advice. I'll pass it on. She told me that Heavenly Father know this baby and knows exactly what to do to make them happy. So if you don't know then pray to know what to do. It seriously keeps getting better and better. We still talk about our kids ALL THE TIME. Congrats
What a sweet post, Stephanie. I'm so glad you are enjoying your sweet little Henry. He is beautiful and we are so excited for you and Brendon and your cute little family. We can't wait to meet him in person! Any plans to come out to cali soon?????
He is so sweet! And for once, I don't think this baby looks like a Pitt. He definitely looks like a Holmes. What a cute boy. :)
Wow! So many comments! You are so loved Stephanie! Your words are comforting and inspiring. I'm so happy for you and Brendon. Becoming a mother is just that...becoming a mother. I find myself with completely new emotions as I learn from Heavenly Father...what it is to become a mother. I hope you will be able to rest as much as possible...it makes such a difference. Take care and enjoy each moment!
Post a Comment