December 15, 2009

Angel Tree


The past few months have been filled with
busy lunch hours,
a lot of driving around town,
a messy house,
stress,
planning,
worry,
and restless nights.
I have never been so busy in my entire life...seriously.
If you would've asked me three months ago, I would've told you I failed more than at any other time in my life. I would've told you I should have never taken on the responsibility. I would have told you this project was more worry than it was worth.

Angel Tree is a service project the SAA (Student Advocate Association) has been doing for the past five years. This is an opportunity for members of our club to serve the community, as well as a means for members of the community to serve others in the community. Children in local schools are selected by school counselors to participate in the Angel Tree program. Parents fill out sizes of clothing along with a "wish list" of what their children would like for Christmas. The childrens' information is written on an angel card and placed on a Christmas tree at local stores where members of the community adopt an angel and purchase gifts. We (SAA) organizes, wraps, and distributes the gifts. This year we provided gifts for 110 children.

Now, in the middle of December, my perspective has changed.
The past three weeks has been extremely fulfilling. Now, I realize my time has never been used as well as it has been the past few months. I have never felt so much love for the people I know...and the people I don't know:
those who give,
those who offer their time,
those who are given to,
and those who are always there (those who you realize you would have failed had you not had them around).

I have never felt so "filled" day in and day out as I have the past few weeks...did I already mention that?

There were, in my eyes, a number of small miracles (...actually, no miracles are small).
The not-so-small miracles:
(1) At one point, I was nervous about having enough wrapping paper. The next day, someone had donated three rolls of wrapping paper.
(2) Another time, I was concerned that not all the angels would be adopted. An email went out to students and faculty and all the angels were adopted.
(3) During another point in time, I wasn't sure our financial situation would allow us to provide for angels who were selected, but gifts were never returned. A grant was given to our club that made it possible to purchase gifts for every single angel.

You know, I prayed a lot about this project during those moments of worry. I may not have realized it at the time, but a lot of prayers were answered.

My life hasn't been dramatically changed with this project, but I have come to a better understanding of the greatest gift resulting from service: love. I could even break out into song with,
"What the world needs now...is love, sweet love..."
But seriously, I don't know of any greater feeling than love.

"We can do no great things;
only small things with great love."
-Mother Teresa

11 comments:

Melissa Nickle, Owner of Blossom Sweet said...

I'm proud of you. And I'm glad that you went from "failed" to "filled." Love ya.

Ash and Joe said...

you are a great woman Steph. thank you for your example. that post made me cry. by the way, i am on day 3 with unwashed hair booya!

Leanna said...

beautiful and perfect post for this time of year...

Sheryl said...

You are such a sweetheart. I know when we do what we can, the Lord takes care of the rest. You are a blessing to me and Brendon, and your community sweet girl! I get to hug you in two more days!!

Heidi said...

You are special girl to take on something like this especially being the President. You are my idol. Love you Miss Steph! Cant wait to see you and your cute belly!

Cassie said...

So that's why I haven't heard from you. :) That's a perfect Stephanie project. I'm not surprised but still think you are absolutely incredible. In all of your free time have you though any about our "twelve days of christmas" memories? I've had a few good smiles over it. We'll be in the car for 11 hours Friday- maybe I'll give you a call.

Tiff said...

Are you guys going to be in Utah at all over the holidays?

Heather said...

Thank you for all the work (& worry) that you put into this project. I'm so glad I had the chance to participate in small ways. My heart was touched by the generosity of so many to provide not only the necessities, but things the kids hadn't even dared ask for.

Sara said...

BEAUTIFULLY written. you are amazing.

Julie said...

What a meaningful project to be a part of. I'm glad you shared all your stress and worry over it and how everything turned out. That's so neat how all of your prayers were answered.

I hope you have a great Christmas! I can't wait to hear about it.

Tiff said...

Missed you at Christmas. Your parents examined my belly to picture what yours looks like. :)