May 16, 2009

Tornado



What a week we have had in our small town! Wednesday morning started with a run at 6:00 AM. While running, I heard the tornado sirens go off. I've heard them before--several times this week--& nothing came. In fact, it was only lightly raining while I was running. I didn't feel a need to run any faster than I was going. And that's usually the story: sirens go off & nothing happens...until this Wednesday.

Fast forward to 5:15 PM-I'm at my desk working when I'm told, "We're on a tornado watch until 5:45 PM." Everyone carries on with work as usual. No big deal. To be honest, I don't even understand the implication of the terminology "tornado watch."

5:30 PM - A tornado is spotted north of Kirksville & is heading towards us. Still not a big deal.

Not a big deal unless I saw this, that is.

5:40 PM - I get a call from my boss making sure everyone knows about the tornado watch. I assure him we are all aware. A co-worker tells me, "You should go home. You don't want to be here when a tornado hits." "Sweet!" I said, excited to see Brendon a little earlier than usual. Still not too worried about the tornado.

5:45 PM - On my drive home, it was very dark. Headlights beamed like they do during late-night driving. As I get closer to home, it starts down-pouring & the tornado sirens go off. The radio stations are saying everyone needs to go in a basement or secure area. I run inside & meet Brendon in the kitchen. We casually decide to go in our basements (I must admit I felt a sense of urgency during my 5 minute drive from work to home, knowing I didn't want to be in a car if a tornado came near).

5:55 PM - Brendon & I chill in the basement with blankets while listening to the radio. I feel safe now & vent about my day. I almost forgot about my annoyances during my day while driving home worrying about a tornado. But now I feel safe & like there aren't any bigger things to worry about. So I vent. Brendon listens.

6:05 PM - We walk upstairs, make dinner together, & eat. Several ambulance sirens are near & we recognize that something must have happened. I received a text saying the tornado hit Bobwhite, a street where several friends & students live. Bobwhite is 2 miles away from our house. We walk outside to talk with our neighbors.

It was surreal watching our friend talk to his wife over the phone who was looking at their house...
the roof...gone,
belongings...demolished,
the house...unrecognizable.

The streets were blocked off & several of the men walked through a field to get to the houses to help salvage all they could. The following day, they went back and were busy all day packing & cleaning. Three of our nursery kids' families were affected by the tornado.

It's amazing what a tornado can do in just a few short minutes. There were 30-40 homes in the area reported as damaged, many of which will need to be demolished. Three people died. Pictures can only do so much. It was unbelievable to see something like this in person.

This experience has been really amazing. What appears to be a bad thing can do (& has done) so much good for individuals & groups of people. It's been a really humbling experience this week to see countless tender mercies & so many people grouping together to help. So many people wanted to help. So many people have shared their stories.

We are grateful for our safety more than ever before. We are grateful for our "things," even though they are just "things." Electricity...boy, have I been grateful for that this week. And most importantly, we are grateful for each other, friends, family, & our faith.

17 comments:

Heidi said...

oh my gosh... how scary. we had one come just a mile away from our house. Its so scary to think what could have happened to our house. SO glad you are safe!
XOXOXO

Sheryl said...

what a truly amazing thing, to be so close and have no serious repercussions, and then to have friends be so devestated so close by.
It is incredible to see the community rally at a time of genuine and dire need. Brendon said your ward members went right out to help immediately. Those are tender mercies....We are so thankful for your safety. love you!

Leanna said...

My goodness! I'm not quite sure if I would be so calm...that seems scary to say the least. What a blessing that it passed over your house and you two. Keep safe and take care!

Ashley said...

Wow, scary. A tornado watch means there is a tornado in the area and you need to take precautions. A tornado warning means there is a strong possibility that a tornado will form, but one hasn't yet. For future reference. You have to know these things in Texas. :)

Jillian said...

Wow Stephanie... I'm glad you guys are safe!

Unknown said...

Wow! You're living "Twister"! "we've got debris!" "we've got hail!" "we've got flying cows!" So glad you are safe. I'm sad that we will miss you when you are in town. (we will be in Montana)

Melissa Nickle, Owner of Blossom Sweet said...

Hey girl- scary times. I remember being in a Tornado about this time of year while I was on my mission. The sky was green and the wind sounded like a loud train whistle. We had to sleep in our closet! They are scary things. I'm glad you're okay!

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

That's so scary! I'm glad you guys are safe

Julie said...

That's craziness! I'm so glad you two are ok and nothing happend to you or your home. That would be so scary to be in a tornado. That's so sad what happened to your friends.

Julia Holmes said...

I'm so glad you guys are safe. Katherine called me shortly after the tornado hit. A little into our conversation I asked what about Brendon and Stephanie in a panic. I am so glad you are okay.

Woodworth Family said...

Wow! Kinda sureal to have it happen to you! I'm glad you guys weren't hit and are safe!

Cassie said...

You are a tough cookie. My heart is still racing from reading your play by play story. I'm so glad you are safe. It's crazy when things like that actually happen to people you know. Time to go buy some food storage.

Addi said...

Looks like you're not in Utah anymore, Toto. (Remember when you were Dorothy for Halloween? I do. It was cute.) So glad you're safe.

Courtney N said...

Oh man! I'm glad you are ok! I will take earthquakes any day over tornados! Thats why I've only lived in Utah and CA!

Mama Bear said...

Wow, so scary! Glad you were safe!!

Happy to hear you are coming to visit!! When is your cali trip?

Mackenzie said...

Hi there, this is Peter Roberts. It sounds like you guys are doing terrific. Thats awesome! My family and I live in Seattle area and I occasionaly surf blogs and I found you. Check us out at peteandkenz.blogspot.com

Katie Jean said...

that is insane! its times like those that im sure really puts things in perspective. we are so glad you are safe. miss you guys!