January 29, 2009

Sell Yourself & Love It

My first interview is today with ATSU (Brendon's school) at 4:30 PM. Finally, an interview!

Word on the street is someone else wants to interview me too. Hopefully I get a call today. And there's also another promising job opportunity.

The resume--filled with hours of critiquing, adding, deleting, finding the perfect words, getting people's advice--all of that can only get you so far. Then, there's the cover letter (as of late, I do not like cover letters). Picking at your brain for experiences, again finding the perfect words, critiquing, adding, deleting, more editing. No, I do not have anything better to do with my time. It just gets monotonous. After dozens of cover letters and revisions to my resume, I finally started networking! Ah, the power of networking! That, my friends, is how you get an interview. It's not through your perfect words on a resume or cover letter: it's through someone else's perfect words in an email or phone call.

But all that hard work is paying off. Hopefully, just hopefully, my cover letter days are over. So now I need to spend the day preparing for an interview. Gotta love the process of finding a new job!

It's been a little tough mentally, but honestly, I've enjoyed some relaxation time. I'm just starting to get the bug to be busy again. I'm going to need to find a hobby soon. Hobby...what's that?

7 comments:

Sheryl said...

Yay for you!! You will have to update after the interview! What Dept. are you interviewing in? You will do maahvelous dahling! My prayers go with you!

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

Good luck, we hope you find something soon. That's always a lot of work!

Heidi said...

YAY, a job! thats great! then health insurance, then baby, RIGHT?
and as for hobbies... blogging is a legit hobby! Keep going with that one!

Unknown said...

Hope it went well! Let us know!

Maren said...

I hope it went well. Good luck with the hunt!

Brett, Kelly, and Amber said...

Soooo how did it go? I know you aced it but I wanna hear it from you!! =) Can't wait to hear all about it, yeah!! =)

Woodworth Family said...

Especially since Law School my motto has been "It's all about who you know, not what you know." Good job with the interview!