October 21, 2008

I Don't Buy Candy

Ever since I can remember, I've have a little bit of a sweet tooth. I, single-handedly, kept the Gibson Girls' Goodies (a mini candy store my mom had in our basement for "the neighborhood kids") in business. Fortunately, my mom would let me have $1 here and $0.50 there of free candy, but I also spent $5 here or $1.50 there on candy, candy, and more candy. I LOVE candy!

Since college, I've tried to suppress my sweet tooth with desserts or marshmallows (which are really good warmed up in the microwave for 25 seconds). And, for the most part, I manage my sweet tooth well.


Last week we got a Halloween package from my mom. I was SO excited, I smiled all the way from the front door (as I shook the box) to my kitchen table. I had been thinking about buying a bag of candy, but resisted every urge while at the grocery store. Now, I wouldn't need to buy any candy.

This was my favorite treat...Costco chocolate covered raisins! This is no Hershey's chocolate either. "Gourmet" in the subtext is rightly deserved on this yummy treat.

Fast forward to 7 days later...



...OOPS! Nearly 3.4 pounds of chocolate covered raisins consumed! Brendon has eaten some, but I've at least doubled his portion. Let's not do the math on this one.

This is why I don't buy candy (and why Brendon would argue that I should buy candy more often, so I don't eat 3.4 pounds of candy when it is available).

Thanks for the package, Mom! We are enjoying it (there are still a few things left).


9 comments:

Sheryl said...

chocolate loving women unite! Looks good to me! I seem to remember a bag of milk chocolate Ghirardelli chips in someone's freezer eaten just a few at a time! ;)

Ashley said...

Haha! That sounds like me and Brett except opposite. I don't eat so much candy, but man, if we have cake or brownies, I'm all over that.

Heidi said...

you are so funny! those do look delicious!

Sara said...

Chocolate is the best...if there is a time for candy, it is october! How cool of your mom. You two are so loved.

Ash and Joe said...

Bring it Holmes!

Brett, Kelly, and Amber said...

I've never been a big fan of chocolate but for some reason those chocolate covered raisins look soooo good... hmm I just might have to go to Costco and get some! =)

Jessica said...

Hey Stephanie! I'm glad that we are blog buddies now. That's so funny that you got a halloween package last week...so did I! It was full of Sees chocolates, of which I ate in a matter of days as well. I love it. Thanks goodness for the TCC!

Brittany said...

I'm going to have to agree with Brendon on this one. :-)

Melissa Nickle, Owner of Blossom Sweet said...

so... this is random but I just realized I know three people with the name 'stephanie holmes'. popular name