November 11, 2017

Rosie

We had a baby.
And now she's ONE!
Rosie has already accomplished much in her short life.
She's taught us lessons of gratitude: for health, for life, for small moments.
She's taught us that family is so important, both our immediate and extended families.
She's helped us remember that God is in the details of our lives and we can trust Him.
And just like babies always do, she has brought our family together as we laugh & smile with her.



Rosie was born on November 1, 2016. 
I was induced and had a smooth delivery, for which I was very grateful,
knowing we wanted to travel in the coming week.
She was 6 pounds 6 ounces and 19.5 inches long.
We left the hospital as soon as possible, 24 hours after her arrival.

Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting, people sleeping and indoor




We stayed home for a week and headed to Orem for her to meet Grandma Sue (& Grandpa).
It was a bittersweet meeting. 
Tears were shed for the miracles we had seen and also for the sadness in our hearts.
We savored our time with Grandma for three short days and came home.




Because we were planning on being home with a new baby, we invited Brendon's family to join us in our home for Thanksgiving.
During our preparations, my mom passed away.
I was so grateful to be with my mother-in-law when I got the news
(as we were grocery shopping in Walmart)
and glad that I had family to look forward to in my home.
We had a full house and a wonderful Thanksgiving.

We headed up to Orem afterwards to be with family and attend my mom's funeral.
We celebrated the amazing woman she is and was, rallied with family and friends, and dedicated her grave site.
We believe seeing Rosie was the last thing on her "must do" list and it was sweet to hear so many people say, "Oh, this is the baby she was waiting to see."


We came home and blessed baby Rosie in January.
We had a lot of family come and participate with us.
She was blessed to be happy, to be a positive influence on others,
and that she would help people remember the gospel of Jesus Christ.
After Rosie's blessing, Brendon sat down next to me and whispered, "I do not understand what that meant."
Well, it became more clear in the coming months.





Within a couple months, we started Rosie's chapter of life titled "In & Out of the Hospital."
Rosie got RSV and was in the hospital for 18 days, which was unusual to stay so long.
But it was explained away with a minor condition she was born with (called Laryngomalacia).
The next several weeks she was in and out of the hospital, seeing doctors, and having testing done.
She kept having episodes while eating where she couldn't breathe and would go blue and limp.
She had CPR twice and had to be bagged with oxygen several other times.
It was terrifying every time I had to feed her.


 




Eventually we found out she had a double aortic arch, requiring heart surgery at Primary Children's Hospital.
My thoughts during our stay in the hospital were the following:
I have been loving my one-on-one time with my Little Love as we patiently wait for surgery tomorrow.
My heart has been filled with love and comfort as I have watched miracle after miracle
unfold during the sequence of events that has led us to today.
Stress and fear are gone and have been replaced with faith and peace.
Once again the prayers of many have buoyed me up,
the helping hands of people have warmed my heart,
and the Orchestrator of it all has offered me the peace that only He can give.
My mamma heart feels sad that my Rosie has to endure so much for me to recognize so much goodness.
She is a special one.


The surgery went well; however, the surgeon wasn't convinced it would immediately remedy the breathing difficulties she was having during feedings.
We went home after 10 days at PCH on a nasal feeding tube (which is absolutely horrible)
and for the next four weeks we had some additional tests and appointments as we transitioned Rosie to normal eating behavior.


Fast forward to 7 months later and Rosie is completely healthy.
It seems miraculous that she was once so sick and is now perfectly fine.
I feel deeply grateful for her life and health often.


 

Rosie is a beautiful, happy girl.
I was convinced she was a quiet soul when she was born but she has been acclimated to the craziness in our home and joins in from time to time.





Rosie love me most and is almost always near me or on my hip.
She cries when she sees me or hears my voice if I'm not holding her.
I credit all our hospital time together for her attached behavior.
Real life hasn't changed any of her expectations of being held alllllll the time.
Good thing I love her a lot.

Rosie loves Dad, too, just not as much as she does Mom.
I remember after a hospital stay when she was really clingy to me, Brendon made a conscious effort to talk time holding and talking with her so that she would be happy with him and it really made a difference.
Lately she is happy being with Dad, unless she sees Mom.


Henry, Maggie, and Hazel love Rosie.
Maggie has especially been attached to her and has always asked to hold Rosie since her birth.
Henry is great about playing.
Hazel loves her but is too much for Rosie.
Rosie usually cries when Hazel is near and screams when she picks her up.
And this is all her latest.
As I'm looking through pictures she seemed to do a lot better with the kids early on.



Rosie's favorite game with the kids is "I'm Going to Get You."
The kids repeat that phrase over and over as they sneak towards Rosie.
She laughs and screams and holds on tightly to me or the couch she is standing by.

We celebrated Rosie's birthday with a visit to the hospital staff whom we grew to love.
We also did a small cake that she didn't want and cried about it being on her tray.
She tasted the frosting and spit it out and only ate the three bites of cake I fed to her.
Cleanest 1st birthday clean up to date.




We are so grateful for the sweet girl in our home and for her health.
Like I said before, she is a special one.

2 comments:

A Little Piece of Jones said...

This made me laugh and cry all at the same time. Love you friend!

StephenEmily Stacey said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you for sharing this. What a beautiful tribute to your mother and your little girl. We had our fourth little one two years ago on Nov 19, 2015. Look at our families grow! Blessings to you and yours. So glad that your family is doing well.