This year Brendon was on call during Thanksgiving.
So I invited my family to come to our house for a feast.
Before my family came down, Gramma Sheryl stopped by on her way up to Provo.
The kids read books with her and played with her.
Maggie got a birthday gift from her and was content playing Barbies for the next several days.
I especially enjoyed that Gramma was here to play with her.
After a couple days, Gramma Sheryl was off and preparation for my family began.
My older sister called me that day to tell me she and her family were able to come down last minute
(thanks to her sweet nurse friends who covered her shifts).
She surprised my parents and it was a treat for everyone to have them with us.
It was a fun weekend for me:
lots of cooking, family time, and game playing.
All of my favorite things together.
We celebrated her birthday the night before with cake and presents.
She was thrilled with every gift she received,
even and maybe especially the Lucky Charms Grandma Sue wrapped.
We soaked in our family for three short days.
Gramma Sheryl returned to us on her way back home.
And then the holiday was over.
Margaret is now four years old.
I love and appreciate her presence in our home so much.
I'm not just saying that. Nearly every day I feel appreciation for that girl.
She is a peacemaker and has righteous desires.
She hates when I start counting to five because she'll do whatever I ask when I start counting.
She'll let out an irritated sound and follow my command.
Maggie is a friend to Henry and Hazel.
She loves any one-on-one time with Mom or Dad.
She adores her grandparents (and they adore her).
One thing that I adore is when Maggie gets excited about something.
She'll typically ask me something like, "Mom, can we (do something she wants to do) later?"
"Yes," I'll say. She'll let out a high-pitched, soft, "Yay!"
I wish I could get it on camera. She does it often.
Maggie learned to ride a bike without training wheels after we got her a bike for her birthday.
It was a strategic parenting move to motivate Henry to learn to ride his bike.
She loves it and enjoys being outside on any of her riding toys.
After reading about Maggie at age three, she is still the same Maggie with improvements.
There has been progress in the tantrum department.
We still argue about the clothes she wears, but not as often.
She is still independent which is so helpful
and she is still my sweet girl.
and she is still my sweet girl.
I keep thinking, "I need to write about Maggie at this phase," because I love every ounce of her.
Maybe that's what happens when you get to spend a lot of time with a child.
I am so grateful for her temperament, her kindness, and her obedience.




1 comment:
I love that you are getting to spend the holidays with your family now. And I especially loved your comment at the very end-about how maybe you appreciate and love a child more when you spend time with them. Seems so simple but it really is profound. Think of what homes would look like if every parent reached that same conclusion. I have been soaking up this happy peaceful year between craziness and I have loved the special time I get to spend with Koyle and Landon during the day. Although I do miss my Matthew boy sometimes.
Post a Comment