Henry,
You are quite the five-year-old boy, always keeping me on my toes, making sure we're on the go or doing something fun, and humbling me in my role as a mother.Just today you cut Maggie's hair with a pair of scissors from the pocketknife you found high up on the bookshelf. You later wanted to "go on an adventure," so we drove to a bike path to ride our bikes. You were disappointed that we didn't see an ostrich, tiger, or an elephant on our ride and about 3/4 of the way into the ride you were whining and complaining about riding. When I told you to push your bike, you complained and Maggie came to your rescue and pushed the bike for you. Later when I told you to ride the bike, you whined and Maggie came to your rescue and rode the bike for you. You finished the bike ride strong, though, and we all had a fun outing together.
Your imagination is incredibly big right now. You often come up with exciting things to do, like find dragons and ride them. You ask for dozens of toys that I've never heard of before. I've planted seeds by telling you that you should be an engineer someday and become a toy maker. Right now you are really into making things (usually out of perler beads) and have requested that I make you a stool, a tree house, and dozens of flying and life-like toys. "Just look at the map," you say (the "map" being a picture we have colored or drawn).
You are the most affectionate person I have ever met and display your love through hugs. A hug to you is touching your cheek to whomever on both sides of the face with a hug and/or kiss to follow. The words "I love you" mean a lot to you and you have a big heart. Your love for your sisters is beyond what I thought capable for a 5-year-old and you love spending time with them. You play with Maggie all day, every day and she takes almost every order you give to her. You are quick to play with Hazel too, which is very endearing given the fact that she can't reciprocate with much more than an occasional laugh. You are her biggest source of laughter; in fact, you are the one who gets us all laughing and you set the tone of our home. Our house is loud, crazy, and happy because of you. You bring a lot of energy to our home.You currently don't want to get baptized (not sure if that's because you're not confident in the water), don't want to go on a mission (don't blame you), and don't want to get married in the temple (because you "don't want to kiss anyone"). I tell you (while reminding myself) that those future decisions will all be made by you. Most of the time you don't like church and sitting still is not your forte.
As my oldest, I am experimenting more on you than is probably fair, but I'll be honest: I don't know what I'm doing. I'm trying my darndest to teach you how to care for yourself, help our family, love others, and to teach you about Christ. We are learning so much together and I'm grateful for the amount of love you carry in that little body. Some of your gifts given to you from Heavenly Father are already evident: you radiate joy and and genuinely love people.
You run all day, every day. You wake up around 6:30 am and go, go, go all day. I think it's great that almost every night you crash quickly after story time is over. You are physically and emotionally drained. You play hard! You love hard! As I was putting you to bed tonight, these thoughts came to me and I had to write them down.
Love you forever,
Mom
2 comments:
Oh...I do love this boy wholeheartedly. He has shown us his amazing personality from day one and I love our connection. I love that you have written down these things, I wish in my busyness with my kiddos I had taken moments to write...this will be a treasure! Love my Henry!
What a creative kid! So neat that you followed through on recording the thoughts you'd had about Henry. I often think I am going to remember exactly how my kids were, what they liked, how they acted, but sadly I am quickly forgetting too much.
Post a Comment