My dear, sweet, Maggie is eighteen months old (as of a month ago). And she is just that: sweet. She's been that way since we first laid eyes on her. She looks it, acts it, and everyone who comes across her sees it within seconds of being around her.
Maggie is content and easy going. She enjoys sitting on my lap and will do it for long periods of time (this is something very new to me). We'll read together or simply sit. Contently. Anytime Mom and Dad are sitting cross-legged on the floor, Maggie will walk up to us, turn around, and plop into our lap. Sometimes, she will happily play in her crib after a nap, alone, for up to twenty minutes. Maggie has always been happy doing anything and going anywhere, which is a blessing as we cater to our busy boy.
Independent. After watching Henry say, "I do it," with buckling his car seat, Maggie quickly picked up on it. She is often saying, "I do," while I'm buckling her into the car seat or a grocery cart. She often says, "I do," while pointing to the toilet, the sink (to wash her hands), and vacuum. She wants to do anything and everything she can on her own, aside from sitting in the booster chair (I don't understand why she hates it so much). Which brings me to my next point...
Maggie is mellow. In Henry's 18 month post, I mentioned that he will have "high highs" and "low lows" throughout his life. Maggie's temperament is constant and somewhere in between high and low (maybe something she got from Grandma Sue). We have to work to get Maggie laughing, but the laughter is rewarding. Don't get me wrong, she laughs often, just not at everything and not when she's in a somber mood.
Developmentally, Maggie is on par or better. She can count to three, knows several animals and their sounds, and picks up on new words each day. My absolute favorite is when she says "kank u" (thank you), which she has been saying for months, thanks to brother's good example. I love when she roars and scares us. I love when she walks into the bathroom and excitedly yells, "Dine-sour!" (see potty training post). And I love "koy-le" (toilet), and when she says, "Dada!" and when she says "Goo gob" (good job), which is usually said in the bathroom after Henry or I go potty. Her newest words, as of yesterday, are "peas" (please), and "pan-kee" (blanket).
Our tall, skinny girl is taking time to grow into her body. Maggie loves to jump but can't yet so she'll bounce without letting her feet leave the flour, then take a step to where she wanted to jump. She loves that game and it is so fun(ny) to watch. While learning to walk, Maggie was not very coordinated for several months and has improved; however, she still has her awkward moments when she can't seem to catch her balance and falls to the floor.
We obviously have male sibling influence by the words Maggie says, but it is also apparent by the activities Maggie takes part in. She loves the outdoors, eating sand, dirt, and chalk, throwing dirt on her head (Henry started doing it to her and now she enjoys doing it to herself), playing with trucks, roaring, etc. On top of all things boy that she embraces, she is one tough cookie. She takes a lot from her brother and often cries, but overall she handles the dog piles and pulling and punching and pushing very well.
Recently Maggie has mastered a silly face. My older sister did it when she was little and my parents always talked about it when I was growing up, so when I saw Maggie take part in this silly face, I did everything to laugh and mimic and encourage her to do it again and again. And now she does her silly face again and again and it is funny every single time. It's even cuter in person.
We love this girl and count her as a great blessing every day of our lives. And that's not an exaggeration.
Maggie, Maggs, Baby, Maggie Sue...we love you and are so grateful for your sweet presence in our home!

4 comments:
I got on here to post a comment about how great you've been about blogging and of course you already had another post since I checked last. I sure love it. I also loved that I felt like I knew a few thing about Maggie as I read about them in your post. Not enough but better than I could have said a month ago.
She is adorable, lovely and beautiful! this post makes me even more excited to see you guys next month
OOOOOOo....cant wait to cuddle with this girl!!
Can't believe she's 18 months! Target pants... yes, I found these ones that were long enough, though that's the only pair I've ever bought from Target. It helps that they are ankle pants so there's a little give when it comes to the length. Hope you guys are doing well!
Post a Comment