November 12, 2012

First Half Marathon

On Saturday I ran my first half marathon.
I ran all 13.1 miles (except for the water stations).
I didn't do as well as I was hoping for, but I didn't train very well either.

A friend told me about the race a few months ago & we decided we would run.
We never ran together, but we kept tabs on each other.
The second I started training, I hated running. 
I didn't always run as long or as far as I should have, but I ran.

Initially, I was running while pushing my kids in the stroller (they were troopers).
But one day of Henry saying "no" to a walk turned into a couple months of running without my kids.
I trained on the treadmill during the weekdays and went running outside on Saturday alone.

I hated so many of my runs. 
One particular run resulted in me talking to myself aloud for the last 15 minutes saying, "You can do this,"
over and over and over again.
I felt like a crazy person, but it was helping.
It amazes me how powerful our minds can be.

Now that I'm done with my half marathon, I want to do another one.
I want to kill my time.
Half marathons are officially my favorite. 

7 comments:

Cassie said...

No wonder why I've been thinking about you. I should have called you last week. How awesome that you ran a half marathon, especially since training wasn't so fun. Call me. I want to hear all about the race.

Sheryl said...

You continue to amaze my sweet!! Congrats on making it! I know you will kill it next time! You surely have ADORABLE KID momma!

Dejah said...

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment!

Bree said...

I think half marathons are the best race out there. Long enough to really push yourself but not to long to kill yourself! Congrats on finishing it. And I totally agree, running is 90% a mental thing!

Unknown said...

you go girl!

lauramarie said...

i want to run one...but i am so bad at running with kids and well...when can i ever run alone? humph. and then there is that whole...lazy...thing :) woohoo for you.

Morgan said...

I thought you loved running! BUT CONGRATULATIONS! They are addicting and I totally love them too!!