Whenever I think about Henry, I mean really think about him, I am overjoyed. But it's different than the joy of him being my son and me being his mother (although there is certainly a joy that comes from that); it's an overwhelming joy, a sense of peace and love. Henry is blessed with a happiness about him: it radiates in his countenance (can you see it?). I can't tell you how many times he has lifted my spirit; it happens almost daily and sometimes multiple times a day. He has truly brought a piece of heaven with him. I feel immensely blessed to have him in my family to help me through this mortal journey. If, as an eleven-month-old boy, he is teaching me so much about our purpose and opportunities for happiness, I can't even imagine what he will be teaching me for the rest of my life.
Henry has grown leaps and bounds this month. The ten- to eleven-month-old stretch made him a new little man. It seems to me he is becoming a little toddler and may not be the "mellow man" I once called him. He is cuter and more fun than ever! I love this stage! Henry is so busy, so anxious to laugh, and remains my happy buddy. And he makes one good little buddy.
We've experienced a number of "firsts" this month. Brendon and I have really enjoyed watching the many changes in Henry. In a nutshell, the following describes Henry's big month:
Feeling frustration
Making his body limp
Pushing my hand away
Walking
Waving and saying "bye"
Finding a comfort toy
Reading by himself
Laughing and playing in the mirror
Kissing
Kissing
Although this has happened several times now, I still laugh every time. The first time it happened was definitely the funniest because it was very unexpected. Here's the story: I gave Henry the sticker from opening a new CD and he started playing with it. Shortly after, he keep trying to eat it (like he does everything else) and I kept taking his hand away from his mouth and saying, "Don't eat it." After half a dozen times of me pushing his hand away from his mouth (...lightly pushing, I might add), he looked away from me, cringed his fingers tightly to his hand, clinched his mouth, and his head started shaking as his face turned slightly red. I wish I could get a picture of it because, even at his expense, it is adorable.
Making His Body Limp
Along those same lines, I picked up Henry to take him from my grandma's sewing room and he gave me the limp body. Again, I laughed.
Pushing My Hand Away
About a week later, I showed Henry a toy to distract him from doing something he shouldn't and he pushed my hand away. He was tired, upset, and did not want whatever I had to offer him. Now that I'm typing all of these things, I'm realizing the disciplinary aspect of parenthood (which I am so not ready for) just might be around the corner. Yikes!
About a week later, I showed Henry a toy to distract him from doing something he shouldn't and he pushed my hand away. He was tired, upset, and did not want whatever I had to offer him. Now that I'm typing all of these things, I'm realizing the disciplinary aspect of parenthood (which I am so not ready for) just might be around the corner. Yikes!
Walking
For our loved ones far away who want to see Henry talking three steps, here it is:
Waving and Saying "Bye"
Henry is picking up on "good-byes." He says "bb...bb...bb" (as if to say "bye") and waves, even if it is after we close the door from saying bye to someone. (Okay, to date he has only done this once, maybe twice.) Point is, he is coming right along in his social skills and we couldn't be more proud of our little eleven-month-old boy.
Finding a Comfort Toy
While most children choose a blanket or stuffed animal, Henry decided he likes Link-A-Doos. He recently decided he likes to go to sleep, eat, play, walk, crawl, and bathe with a Link-A-Doo in hand. Brendon said, "It was only a matter of time before he latched onto them," and reminded me he has been surrounded by links since birth. We have had links on his car seat, stroller, and we keep a stash in the diaper bag. Toys are often attached at the end of the links, but ever since Henry was little, he has enjoyed holding onto the links. Brendon also reminded me Henry used to fall to sleep in his car seat while holding onto a link. Now, they're his comfort toy.
Reading by Himself
When Henry is quiet these days (and the door to the bathroom is closed, leaving him no access to the toilet bowl or toilet paper roll), he can be found in his room, looking at his books. I hope my efforts to help him enjoy reading are working.
Laughing and Playing in the Mirror
The past couple days Henry will be laughing while playing. When I peek at him around the corner, he is playing in the mirror that hangs on our bedroom door. He just laughs and laughs. Can I say adorable??? He has also enjoyed playing with his (and my) reflection in the metal thing (whatever it is) in the tub.
Kissing
Although this isn't one of his "firsts" this month, I did want to document that Henry loves kissing anything: dolls, little babies, grandmas, and especially me. I love those wide open mouth kisses. He also loves to kiss himself in the mirror. He knows he's that cute and lovable and I hope he remembers that forever.
Henry is picking up on "good-byes." He says "bb...bb...bb" (as if to say "bye") and waves, even if it is after we close the door from saying bye to someone. (Okay, to date he has only done this once, maybe twice.) Point is, he is coming right along in his social skills and we couldn't be more proud of our little eleven-month-old boy.
Finding a Comfort Toy
While most children choose a blanket or stuffed animal, Henry decided he likes Link-A-Doos. He recently decided he likes to go to sleep, eat, play, walk, crawl, and bathe with a Link-A-Doo in hand. Brendon said, "It was only a matter of time before he latched onto them," and reminded me he has been surrounded by links since birth. We have had links on his car seat, stroller, and we keep a stash in the diaper bag. Toys are often attached at the end of the links, but ever since Henry was little, he has enjoyed holding onto the links. Brendon also reminded me Henry used to fall to sleep in his car seat while holding onto a link. Now, they're his comfort toy.
Reading by Himself
When Henry is quiet these days (and the door to the bathroom is closed, leaving him no access to the toilet bowl or toilet paper roll), he can be found in his room, looking at his books. I hope my efforts to help him enjoy reading are working.
Laughing and Playing in the Mirror
The past couple days Henry will be laughing while playing. When I peek at him around the corner, he is playing in the mirror that hangs on our bedroom door. He just laughs and laughs. Can I say adorable??? He has also enjoyed playing with his (and my) reflection in the metal thing (whatever it is) in the tub.
Kissing
Although this isn't one of his "firsts" this month, I did want to document that Henry loves kissing anything: dolls, little babies, grandmas, and especially me. I love those wide open mouth kisses. He also loves to kiss himself in the mirror. He knows he's that cute and lovable and I hope he remembers that forever.
Henry, we love you are are so happy you are a part of our family.

6 comments:
awww cute! i can't believe he's taking steps! he's ahead of simon in that department, haha.
I wish I could see that frustrated face. It sounds adorable. :)
Kudos to you for laughing at all of the things he does that might give you cause to be frustrated. I'm still working on that.
He makes me happy every time I see him- in person and on the blog. What a great trait to be so happy it's contagious.
he is such a cute boy!
My little nephew is growing up so fast. He's such a cute little man too!
LOVE This boy! He truly is a joy. So blessed with such an angel boy! Just could eat him up every minute!!
Post a Comment