Life is full of new phases. It used to be a new school year, a change in roommates, or the beginning of a new year. I thought new phases of life stopped after marriage. Boy, was I wrong. Now my phases consist of (and will continue to consist of) a new baby, a change in location, or the beginning of a new round of medical school. We have experienced one new phase after another since being married: living in Orem, a move to Kirksville for medical school, and a new baby, all in the course of two and a half years.
And now here we are, onto the next phase: rotations in Orem, Utah. The move has been extremely bittersweet. The last two years in Kirksville have been the best years thus far. (I hope I say that about every phase.) It was the first time I have lived more than fifteen minutes from my parents. Thank goodness for Skype. I really grew to love Kirksville, and not just as a temporary place to live, but as my home. My home with a lot of friends, the best neighbors, and just all-around good people everywhere you turn. I miss Kirksville...a lot. I missed the rainstorm (and the clean car afterwards) last week, I missed the women and their babies in the nursing lounge on Sunday, I missed the sunrise on my run this morning, seeing my neighbors while getting my mail, my fast internet connection, and going swimming at a free pool and always seeing friends. I thought I'd miss the frogs and the squirrels, but I don't. I miss people. We made quick connections with people and made some lifelong friends. It always takes me awhile to settle in and feel comfortable in a new environment. I'll get there...
But even with all the missing I've been doing lately, I must say it has been so much fun to be with family. Henry has met cousins, aunts, uncles, cousins once removed, second cousins, grandpa, grandma, great grandmas, and is soon to meet more. I have loved being able to show my parents Henry's smile and watching them make him laugh. My heart gets warm when I see how much they love him. I didn't know they could love him as much as they do. They can't get enough of him! Brendon and I have definitely benifited and have even gone out a couple times with just the two of us. We are enjoying being near family for this short phase of life.
We'll be here for two years and are excited for what lies ahead, the growth that inevitably occurs, and watching our family grow (in years for sure, and possibly in number). And in two years, I hope I'm writing about how Orem, Utah was the best phase of our life thus far.
7 comments:
Sometimes I think that Colorado has been the best phase so far for us. Its definitely hard to be so far, but to be making our own identity as a couple and to truly rely on each other is HUGE for me. and like you it takes me a while to get adjusted and to feel comfortable, and I think I am finally getting there. Its been hard, but so fun at the same time. I just hope that we all are together at some point in life. I miss you guys!
Already thinking about having another one?!
i find myself missing home so much too. not my home in utah but my home in kirksville. i am hope hope hoping york will become home as well someday. dear life, no more new phases for a bit mkay. thanks!
I love to read what you write. =) Good luck with this phase, as well! I miss everyone, too!
Welcome back to UT!
I miss you. I love reading about you.
You handle each new phase with grace and charm. You will continue to grow and learn and love and miss....You are wonderful. I love you! 4 days!!
Post a Comment