July 2, 2009

Where It All Started

Last Saturday we took a trip to Macon (about 30 miles south) to see a small theater production of My Fair Lady. While thinking of what else we could do with our afternoon, I remembered that Marceline was only another 20 miles past Macon. Marceline is Walt Disney's home town, and there is just enough to do there to take up an hour of time. So before the play, we drove past Macon on to Marceline to see what it had to offer.

As we were pulling into town, there were signs telling you where to turn. I turned prematurely and found this:
Stephanie showing us the way.


Trying to work up my imagination by Walt's dreaming tree.


I thought this bit of information was worth posting. :)



Closer view of the barn.


Inside the barn. The cut-outs on the left are supposed to recreate neighborhood kids watching one of Walt's childhood performances. If you look closely at the beam above us, it has been signed by visitors. The barn is covered with thank you's from all those who have been inspired by Walt Disney's story.


The dreaming tree and barn turned out to be the best part of our trip, so we were glad we stumbled upon it. It's quite inspirational to see how a man that has achieved so much came from so little. Walt Disney now strikes me as a man who never let himself grow out of his childhood imagination.

Here are a few more pictures of the town. Main Street USA at Disneyland was inspired by this small-town main street, Kansas Avenue. From doing a little reading, Disneyland's Main Street is in no way a replica of Kansas Avenue, just what Walt Disney wanted to re-create at Disneyland.

Our picture of Kansas Avenue

A better picture of Kansas Avenue that I found on the internet (taken from the other end of the street)


Not sure if Uptown Theater has any significance, we just took the picture because it looked cool and says "Spirit of Mickey."



Holmes Street! (We found it as we were driving to Kansas Ave.)


A very strange window decoration in a house on Holmes Street.

After we left Marceline, we went back to Macon to see My Fair Lady, which was phenomenal. The majority of the actors had graduated from Theater programs at different universities, and it showed. We hope to make it back again sometime this season, maybe for their production of Little Shop of Horrors.

10 comments:

Sheryl said...

What a great day, and a great find! You two are too cute for your own good! Love you, thanks for sharing!

Ashley said...

That sounds like so much fun!

DeGooyer Family said...

Hi Stephanie! Sounds like you've had a great summer so far!! I need your email address - can you email it to me? aadegooyer@hotmail.com

Thanks! -Alana

Dejah said...

What a fun day! I love the picture in front of Holmes St.

Julia Holmes said...

What a fun day you guys had. I love My Fair Lady! We can't wait to see you guys!!

Heidi said...

How fun. I want to go there... well not sure... doesnt look like Ill see much more than what you posted. THanks for sharing!

Courtney N said...

Walt Disney?! THE WALT DISNEY?! Im so jealous! :)

Unknown said...

what a happy little accident! :)

Katherine said...

That tree is so cool! I want to head over there. What a fun day.

Mandy, The Mother of All Chaos said...

My kids and I went last summer- it is a fun little trip isn't it! We all signed the barn too LOL Glad you guys had a great day!