Well, I wouldn't call the run "fun," but I did enjoy talking with people after the race. You know, the handful of people who stayed steady with me for, oh, 60 seconds then bolted off in front of me, never to return again. I didn't see them again until I crossed the finish line. Bummer!
I was hoping the title of this post would be "Winna, Winna, Winna" (as if to say "Winner, Winner, Winner"). I thought my family would appreciate that. However, I wasn't even close to being the winner.
While at the TCC (the gym) in February, I saw a page of results for a recent 5k in town. The winner averaged an 8:30/mile pace. I knew I could beat that. I set my goal for an upcoming 10k race organized by the SAA (Student Advocate Association; aka "spouse of med students club"). My goal: beat 46 minutes (just under 7:30/mile).
The training was fun...at the beginning, when I was running on a treadmill that wouldn't let me slow down whenever I wanted. I was running faster than I ever had before. There was a high every time I ran. Then, I hit the street running 2 weeks before the race and it stunk. I couldn't seem to run fast. Race day came...
Strong start

I'm the dot far away from the camera, in the center of the tree
Mile 2:
Side ache
(ran first two miles in under 14 minutes...my best time ever)
Miles 2-3.5:
Side ache recovery

Blowing kisses to Brendon
Miles 3.5 -4:
The path was measured wrong...
it was definitely longer than 1.5 miles
Last Mile:
Realized I could still make my goal time if I ran a 7:30/mile
Told myself I'd never have to run a 10k again if I ran fast,
but I didn't run faster.
Told myself to reach the girl in pink,
but realized she was half a mile in front of me.
Told myself to catch the guy in the orange shorts,
after all, he was only 10 meters in front of me, but I couldn't.
Finish Line
I'm the dot far away from the camera, in the center of the tree
Mile 2:
Side ache
(ran first two miles in under 14 minutes...my best time ever)
Miles 2-3.5:
Side ache recovery
Blowing kisses to Brendon
Miles 3.5 -4:
The path was measured wrong...
it was definitely longer than 1.5 miles
Last Mile:
Realized I could still make my goal time if I ran a 7:30/mile
Told myself I'd never have to run a 10k again if I ran fast,
but I didn't run faster.
Told myself to reach the girl in pink,
but realized she was half a mile in front of me.
Told myself to catch the guy in the orange shorts,
after all, he was only 10 meters in front of me, but I couldn't.
Finish Line
Time: 47 minutes 24 seconds
Lessons Learned:
- For me, running for fun doesn't involve a goal time that is going to push me extremely hard.
- Mental toughness for distance running is completely different than running for speed.
- When I grow up, I want to be like the elderly man that kicked my butt.
16 comments:
You may not have been the Winna of the race, but you definitely was the Cutest!! I applaud you once again for being a Runna! You are da Winna in my book!
I know what you mean by the elderly man thing...so many were passing me and I was getting so frustrated!
Oh how I wish I loved to run. It's so uncomfortable. Good for you!
I am so impressed! I could never run a marathon. Good for you! You have the skinniest legs, my goodness :)
Very impressed. I've never had the guts to do something like that since I'm pretty sure I would be the last one crossing the line. Lesson learned #3 is my favorite.
You're a winna winna winna to me. :)
Great job! I wish I could run a 10K that fast. We really need to go in the morning again. . . if the weather EVER gets pleasant.
You go girl! I just signed up for a 5K after this baby is born. I am needing some motivation to get this baby weight off.
you are so dang CUTE! i love reading your posts. i have to say, this one was one of my favorites. i am impressed will your WILL to make it happen. i hate running. but i do it. i love how i feel after it's all over. like i am ARMY STRONG! Go Steph! i say you are a winna...fo sho.
Was that elderly man's name Ray? If so, I know exactly what you're talking about. But forget about the elderly...You did amazing! Thanks for the motivation. Call me. I lost your nubmer.
I'm impressed...even if you didn't win! Way to go! I love reading your posts...you are hilarious! When I grow up...I want to be like that old guy that kicked your butt, too! :)
Good job on your race! Way to work hard. I think there will always be that person passing you or in front of you who you think shouldn't be. When I ran my first half marathon I remember small children beating me. Now that's embarrassing!
When I ran, my goal was just to finish. So to me, you're basically pro.
You have nice legs! Woo! Woo! (Think whistling when you read that.)
When I grow up... I wanna be like YOU! Way to go!!
Hey, you may not have one for the best time but I'm sure you did for best legs! I'm so impressed!
Post a Comment