Talking about myself is really easy when I'm interviewing. In fact, I'm basically an expert at it. I have my two minute speech prepared for the "tell me about yourself" ice breaker (or the "what is your greatest strength" question), I know my weakness is asking too many questions instead of trying to figure it out for myself...and I quote, "but I'm aware now and know that is something I can continue to improve."
There's a confidence that comes with interviewing. BYU professors and counselors told me not to be humble when interviewing, so I'm not. It's interesting to see how you can make a job sound much more grand than it actually was. That's not to say I tell things I didn't do--that would be dishonest--but making what you did do sound fantastic. Because really, in all actuality it was (maybe) fantastic, but didn't seem like it at the time. You simply leave no room for the interviewer to think what you did was anything but fantastic. Did that make sense? I make more sense when I interview, I swear.
Unfortunately, how I perceive myself, my experiences, and my accomplishments isn't always what the interviewer sees. There has been at least one occasion (after graduating from college) when I thought, "I can't believe I didn't get an offer." Hopefully that doesn't happen now. I'm still hoping my cover letter days are over.
For now: two interviews down and for sure one, hopefully two or three more to go. Both interviews so far have gone really well, especially my interview this morning.
Time will tell. Does the interviewer think I am everything I said I was? Do they think I will fit in with their company/department? Who knows. Until then, I'll be enjoying my time reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, making cookies for SAA, and working out whenever I darn well please...oh yeah, and occasionally looking at job postings. Maybe I'm a little too confident right now.
7 comments:
There would actually be a cheerleading squad behind you at those interviews if that was possible. "Hey! DO you KNOW who it is you are interviewing?? THEE Stephanie Gibson Holmes - you pass up this cookie, and you shall be oh, so sorry!" Keep up the good work darlin'!
You should be confident! I wish I had that confidence with interviewing. You go GiRL!!
and really... who wouldn't want you!!? if they only knew! good luck!
steph, you are so funny. I bet you rocked the interviews!
good for you
stay confident
Well sais steph! You have a lot to be confident about so might as well flaunt it.
Good luck! I'm sure you'll have an offer any day now! Sounds like you have mastered your interviewing skills! :)
Post a Comment