February 13, 2009

Should've Been a Nurse

I came home yesterday from a temple trip to Nauvoo, feeling oh, so good! I opened up my mailbox to two...not one, but two letters from places I had interviews with (one of which I had a second interview). Clue #1: Good news does not come in the form of a letter for things of this nature.

Opened up the letters...


Confidence? Shot.
Sadness? Filled me.
Frustration? Reached its' peak.
Feelings towards cover letters? Still hate 'em.
Needing some comfort? Thankfully he walked into the door within 5 minutes of me opening my letters.
Tears? If you know me, that wouldn't even be a question.

Yes, I know something will work out...eventually. But, I swear I've done everything by the book! From networking and following-up to interview preparations and (sincere) thank-you cards, I don't know what more to do other than keep looking. So that's what I'm going to do. Please keep me in your prayers.

The market is extremely competitive right now. Good news for company's looking to employ; bad news for people seeking employment. On second round interviews, there were 6 of us. Six?!? For second-round interviews?!? For another job (which I thought my networking would get me somewhere), there were 7 people in my group interview + another batch. Everyone's looking for a job...even the highly competent with a good education and work experiences (Exhibit A: me).

Ironically, when I went to college and wasn't "passionate" about any subject, I took on business. I'm a very practical girl and told people many times, "I can get a job anywhere with a business degree." Truth be told, you can get a job anywhere as a nurse. I just didn't want to do what I saw my sister do with 12 hour night shifts...yuck! My sister can amazingly manage; this girl, however, needs some good sleep every night. But if anybody's wondering what to do with their life, I highly suggest nursing.

Do I regret doing business? Absolutely not! I LOVED my college experience in the business program at BYU and LOVED my job with Overstock.com. I still think it will help me get a job around here. It's just that lately, I've heard the phrase "I should've been a nurse" run through my mind a lot.


Cover letters...here I come, as much as I despise you.

12 comments:

Ash and Joe said...

something will turn up! racket ball sounds like a good idea, just go easy on me...

Ashley said...

Well, that makes me feel better about Brett's job prospects! :) Something will come, and I bet it will be better than either of those jobs.

Rach, Mike, Allie and Hadley said...

Too bad you aren't in Gainesville, I am going through applicants to fill my job! My advise: Don't have a script-like interview, just be yourself. In the end, it is not really what is on your resume, it is how you interact with the person. Good news is, you are awesome!

Devri said...

I'm so sorry! I'm sure things will work out and someday you will be able to look back and realize why everything happened the way it did and when it did. I know that's hard to think about now. GOOD LUCK and keep your head up. ;-) I'll be thinking about you.

Heidi said...

OH my goodness.. I am so sorry to hear that. I am glad brendon was there to comfort you!
XOXO!

Cassie said...

Steph that makes me so sad to hear you so sad. You are SO qualified for those jobs so just keep having faith that the right one will work out. And just to cheer you up- remember that late Sunday night the day before valentines day when we started calling the boys apartments and singing that Jim Brickman valentine song while Bonnie played it on the piano? Good times!!

Sheryl said...

Man....they just don't deserve you! Passing up someone so charming and hard working...not so smart on their part. But hey, prayers are being sent for you!! Lots of love from California!!

Woodworth Family said...

So, so sorry Steph! I agree with Sheryl! You could come work for me and be my nanny! :0) But, your pay would be about what you're getting now. But it would be entertaining! Love you.

Katherine said...

I remember having this exact thought- why didn't I become a nurse?!

I'm so sorry. This town is RIDICULOUS when it comes to finding a job. I admire you for not throwing in the towel long ago. What a joke.

Meanwhile, we'd always love to see your beautiful face around these parts. Come over any time!

Unknown said...

Sorry, Steph! Prayers are being sent above on your behalf. Keep up the hard work and I'm sure someone will be smart enough to snatch you up! We love you!

Brett, Kelly, and Amber said...

Hang in there babe... the job market is horrible everywhere. As you know, Brett's still trying to find a job 4 months after being laid off. He's sent his resume out to over 150 companies across the U.S., yet companies are freaking out and freezing their hiring process. Lots of them are doing that in order to prevent pay cuts and layoffs... so hang in there, it will get better soon. It may not be tomorrow, but it will be soon!! Good luck babe, we're thinking about you and praying for you guys!! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Brett & Kelly said it best, it's a tough market out there. Don't go to interviews worrying about how it will turn out. Give it your best then figure what happens will happen. You have great talents. Your value is not determined by a paying job. If you need to do something, volunteer at the hospital until you find something that pays. That will keep your spirits up.