September 19, 2008

I Have an Addiction

Dinner conversation yesterday

Steph: "So...I have an addiction. I'm addicted to blogging."

Brendon: "Is it bad?"

Steph: "No...well, it could be."

(Interjection: I make all efforts possible to spend my time wisely. I hate TV, not a big fan of movies, & I always try to keep my "to do" list full, giving me something to keep me busy. In fact, I've even had multiple internal battles about limiting my blogging time, so as not to "waste" hours on end in any given week. For those of you who don't believe I spend a lot of time blogging: I usually read other's blogs rather than posting on my own, because I enjoy it more.)

Steph: "Whenever I make a post on my blog, I get so excited about reading people's comments, that I check the blog ten times throughout the day. I check the blog first thing when I wake up, throughout the day, and before going to bed."

Brendon: (chuckles with a big smile) "Now you know how I feel about sports!"

Steph: "Really, is that what it's like? I thought I'd never understand."

Brendon: "That's exactly how it is: first thing in the morning, throughout the day, and right before going to bed."

Steph: "Wow!...

(Trying to get to a more important thought...)

"But wait, listen to this. I'm so addicted & I wanted to read a new post this morning, but nobody on my list had posted. I thought, 'I'll go to Sheryl's blog (my mom-in-law), she ALWAYS has someone who recently posted.' So I go to your mom's blog and randomly click on people I don't know. As I'm scrolling through a random blogs, glancing at pictures, a family picture catches my eye. The post mentions the family's lives have been changed forever. I was intrigued, so I followed the link to a blog and started reading about this family who's parents were in a plane crash and were in critical condition, but are now at a burn unit. The four kids now live with their aunt. I went back in time to before the crash happened & they were such happy people, who seemed to have a picture-perfect life. They loved life & seemed to cherish every moment.

"The sister of the woman in the airplane accident had a link to another blog, mentioning his hardships. I followed the link (this may sound familiar to some of you bloggers...link to link to link). The blog is a man writing about his wife's recovery. She had a baby in June, had complications with delivery, and the doctor's had to amputate both of her legs below the knee, her left arm, and she's blind. She'll never see her baby.

"My life was put into perspective today. It was amazing."

Anyway, I was in awe of these incredible stories and was once again reminded that life is about the relationships we build and the way we treat people, not keeping the house clean, building status at work, or worrying about the future.

Thank you, bloggers, for helping me keep my life in perspective.

12 comments:

Heidi said...

I totally understand your addiction. and I never thought about the whole sports addiction. Matt is the same way. Now I get it too!
i have heard about that family in the plane crash as well. The Blogging World is amazing isnt it?
and I know what you mean... link to link to link...
I get a little Obsessive Compulsive about it.

Sheryl said...

Welcome to the world of blogging Steph! It is amazing how people's lives and their writings can impact how we feel about our own. I know why Journaling is so vital to stay connected to our family. We see how they are feeling, and see how they handle things in life. So fun to to read yours (at 2:50 am) when I couldn't sleep! Blog on, read on! LOVE YOU!

Ashley said...

Wow, those are some amazing stories. I know exactly what you mean about blogging. I didn't care about it until I made a blog of my own. Now my whole life consists of, "Let's take the camera so I can blog about this." I really love keeping up with events in people's lives and even getting to know them better through their blogs.

Dejah said...

I'm addicted too, especially when it comes to reading other blogs!

Addi said...

I cannot get enough of the NieNie stuff, too! I even have Blake's mom sending me newspaper clippings about them from AZ. It is seriously so inspiring. Every time I ready her blog or her sister's, I cry. Then, I have to go hug my babies. Did you know they're trying to get her story onto Oprah? I think it would be phenomenal.

Addi said...

Yikes, the time on my comment says it's after 1:21 AM. I guess I have an addiction, too. But you must remember, it's only 11:21 in California. :)

Woodworth Family said...

It does become quite fascinating. It's amazing what you can find out about other people. (Or that you even get interested in blogs of people you don't even know. I'm Guilty!)

Sara said...

i love reading your thoughts stephanie. You have a way with words. Thanks for sharing your addiction, i can totally relate. It's such a fun new addition to life.

Julie said...

I love your post! I don't think blogging is a bad addiction and it's a lot better than other ones! I haven't felt addicted to blogging yet, but I have a feeling I will when the baby comes. We'll have report to each other how much time we spend blogging so we don't waste too much time!

Rachelle said...

Ah, yes, the blogging addiction! haha. Hey, what's your email so I can send you the update on me you asked for!

Miss seeing your happy face!

Jenn said...

I am addictive to blogging too!! I also click from link to link to link. :) I found out about that family as well through the blogging world. What a touching story. It really does put everything into perspective.

Mama Bear said...

You are so cute! Blogging is totally addicting...and so is checking to see how left comments! You are so normal! :)

Happy anniversary, btw! 1 year already! Glad it has been such a happy year for you guys! I love to hear that!